Remove the neck to adjust a truss rod? what?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by RKDallas, Mar 13, 2018.

1. rhinocaster

rhinocaster Supporting Member

They don't put the truss rod adjustment at the headstock for the same reason you don't access the oil dip stick in your car from the driver's seat....

2. Whiskeyrebel

Whiskeyrebel Member

I'll have you know that I am a trianglist without equal, and no slouch as juggist as well.

Angeln and gerg6 like this.
  3. Tony Done

Tony Done Member

I'm another who thinks it is a daft design. - I like to be able to look at the progress I'm making, under string tension.

hudpucker, Stike and gerg6 like this.
  4. Bossanova

Bossanova Silver Supporting Member

...And we lubed our nuts like MEN do, with BOURBON!

5. mango

mango Member

Don't waste the bourbon,spit on it .

JukeBoxRat and Bossanova like this.
  6. caldera

caldera Member

Instead of sending it back at your own expense ($$$), you could spend about the same amount of money and have your luthier set it up perfectly. it'll always be pretty close to dialed in after that, and should only need minor adjustments ever again.

Its a factor for me too, I really like to tweak things so I want the adjust-at-the-headstock type. But I wouldn't pass on a great guitar over it.

If it bothers you that much, some guitars have that bit of wood routed out under the pickguard, so you can adjust the neck without loosening the neck at all. I'm sure the luthier could give your guitar the same little notch without much trouble.

7. Alder Statesman

Alder Statesman Member

Cool guitar. Embrace the reissue, truss rod and all.

8. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

I've been playing Strats for 50 years and the new Monterey Strat really surprised me with its sound/playability...one of the better Strats I've played and it knocked my #1 of 4 years out of the #1 slot. Mine ain't goin' nowhere, man. I'm a real nowhere man, sitting in my nowhere land, making all my nowhere plans for nobody ;).

9. sedawkgrep

sedawkgrep Member

Dunno about you guys but here in Colorado the temperature and humidity change so often and so fast, that I adjust truss rods pretty much seasonally due to necessity.

I’ve given up on heel adjust except in cases where it’s been made easy either by routing or a wheel.

10. teleman55

teleman55 Member

A Phillips? That sucks. The old ones had like a cross hatch and you could take a medium small flat head screwdriver and very carefully turn it about an eighth of a turn at a time with the upper part. No need to loosen screws. Just don't do this and blame me for busting something. I'm glad they moved that s**t to the other end of the neck though.

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  11. Mr Analog

Mr Analog Member

I’d say Leo almost had it right the first time. Placing the truss rod adjustment at the heel is perfect because it keeps the face of the headstock clean and avoids taking wood away from the narrowest part of the neck. He just didn’t think about adding a wheel so you could adjust it from the outside, without removing the neck.

Luckily it only took Fender about 60 more years to improve Leo’s original design by adding the wheel. Now I just wish they would use it on more models!

12. EarleG

EarleG ® Silver Supporting Member

You can use a paint can opener or get a large flat tip screw driver heat the tip, put tip end in a vise and bent it 90 degrees.
    If it is a traditional strat there should be a slot in the body at he truss rod adjustment end. Just insert and turn. There are also
    ready made tools for this. No need to remove neck at all just the pick-guard enough for access.

13. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

Not fun being a hipster anymore is it

14. soggy mittens

soggy mittens Member

i think it's a good design, stops incompetent tinkerers (like me) from screwed it up. :D

olgluefoot likes this.
  15. jorgemncardoso

jorgemncardoso Member

Yeah... it's a huge and daunting task... :eek: :worried
    But don't burn it mate, sent it my way. I'll be happy to take it out of your hands for 'ya... :D

Yep, guys in the 50's where really "incompetent", guitar design wise...
    Don't really know how all the guitarists from that era survived playing those "awfully designed" guitars until the headstock truss rod was put on the later Fenders... :eek:

Oh... and don't get me started on the 7.25" radius and vintage frets.... :rotflmao

Last edited: Mar 14, 2018
  16. Kmaz

Kmaz Member

When Rick Kelly was building my Strat, I'd asked him to make a channel in the body for heel-end truss adjustments. The p**** wouldn't do it, citing that his necks "don't move much." Lol

Artists.....

17. jorgemncardoso

jorgemncardoso Member

:facepalm

18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Member

I have no idea if the OP lives somewhere with radical changes of humidity which might entail adjustment more often, but once I set my Strats/Teles up I can't recall ever needing to touch the truss rod again. Maple and steel make for a tough, rigid combination. And it really is a very simple and quick non-technical job to adjust the truss rod. Flat head screwdriver, not Phillips.

19. RKDallas

RKDallas Member

... and the cowbell players.

20. sportycliff

sportycliff Supporting Member

You mean it can't be adjusted via bluetooth with a smartphone?