Removing 1 speaker from a 2 x 12

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by protoangel, Jan 9, 2008.

1. protoangel

protoangel Member

Does this affect the tone of the cab?

I was imagining it might act like a big port and make the one more full-bodied... kinda like a oversized cab?

2. localmotion411

localmotion411 Supporting Member

I'm curious myself. I want someone to make me a 2x12 half open-back, half-closed back, with a partition between each half, and make it switchable between either speaker alone or both together via a 3-way switch. Anyone else?

Didn't mean to derail; sorry.

Would the size of the speaker hole be too large to act as a port?

3. voojo

voojo Gold Supporting Member

If you do that to a 2x12 you basically have what is called a detuned cabinet. As I understand it using a "port" that big allows all frequencies to come out, thus the detuned name, not tuned to any particular set of frequencies (bass/mids/treble) I have a detuned cabinet I built using plans from London Power, and while I haven't played it much (the speaker I have in there isn't rated high enough for my current amps.) it sure sounds nice, especially at low volumes.

4. hamfist

hamfist Member

I've tried it, and it worked well - exactly as you described.
    I never used the cab at high volume though, so I can't comment on that. Certainly it was as loud as the equivalent 2x12 with two of the same speakers in it. The only negative point that I could say is that I found the detuned cab did not seem as "tight". The overall tone was fuller, but just a bit "sloppy" (in a vintage sort of way).

5. Oldtone

Oldtone Member

Good thread, are we talking about a closed or open back cab that you tried? Seems like an open back would be nothing more than an single 12 'large' cab. I don't know how it might sound with the closed back.

6. Secret Ingredient

Secret Ingredient Member

I also removed one speaker from a 2x12 combo amp. I thought it made a big improvement in the tone. Also made the amp lighter! The amp did not use hard wired speaker leads. The internal speakers actually connected into the speaker out jacks on the back so removing a speaker caused no wiring issues. Give it a shot.

7. FFTT

FFTT Member

True detuned cabs are closed back and generally larger or deeper than standard cabs, but yeas you do get the detuned extra warmth and fullness
    of a detuned cab by removing one speaker.

Detuned is not necessarily scientific so if the results are desirable, it's great
    for a different variable in tones.

If the speaker power rating will handle your amp, then you're fine.

Just keep in mind that some speaker power ratings differ for open and closed back operation.

Also be careful to reset your amp's output impedence to match the single speaker.

8. mcdyas

mcdyas Supporting Member

Out of all the cabinets I've tried the best sounding one is the one I'm using now. Its a /13 212D closed back with a single Gold in the upper position. My C30 fits right on top, its rated 50 watts for a 30 watt amp and its light. :AOK