Removing adhesive - bottom of pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by thewex, Feb 11, 2012.

1. thewex

thewex Member

So I need to remove the rubber pad on the bottom of my DOD Wah so I can velcro to my board. Whats the best stuff to remove the adhesive? the google says goo off or lighter fluid. What is TGP's consensus?

2. Sir EL84

Sir EL84 Member

Naptha (as in Ronson's Lighter Fluid...not sure what other companies use) will work great. Also sold in bulk at local hardware stores.
    Believe it or not, this stuff work great on lacquered / nitro finishes for removing grime, waxy build up etc, and most importantly does not damage the finish whatsoever. Evaporates right before your eyes too.

3. Steve Foley

Steve Foley Member

Either works well.
    Watch out for any labels that you have, though, as remover may also remove the labels, particularly if you have adhesive paper labels.
    If you're removing it from a hand-built pedal, that may have been labeled with a marking pen, it may remove those identifications, too.
    Be careful that the cleaner doesn't get "inside" the pedal, if you have any signatures or ID's inside. Many maker/builders sign the inside bottom plate with a marker...

4. Ed Reed

Ed Reed Senior Member

Goo Gone works too. Not flammable.

5. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

I use WD-40... works great!

6. barnvillain

barnvillain Member

Magic erasers have worked well for me in most applications...and leaves no gassy smell :)

7. thewex

thewex Member

goo gone did the trick, thanks!