• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!
  • If you are seeing this, you are on the new TGP servers. Bear with us as we work out any issues related to the move. The end result should be a far better snappier experience on TGP. *Notice: You can close this notice by clicking on the "X" in the upper right corner.

Removing all six strings at once

hag01

I have to remove all six strings from my electric guitar and clean the pickups and the area near the pickups from dust.

I’m afraid it will damage the intonation.
In what order should I install the strings?
Any other tips to avoid changing the intonation?

I saw some YouTube tutorials about adjusting intonation but I have no experience doing it, so it will be best not to have to.

Thanks in advance.

fatoni

Maybe if you have a tune o matic bridge but I've never really run into that issue outside of that. Not an expert though

green_henry

Gold Supporting Member
In theory, if you remove or even loosen the strings, you are taking tension off of the truss rod and it will tend to loosen

...in my experience, this is just theory or, at least, not noticeable in most circumstances. May be valid for extended periods, but not for a day or two.

That's the way to do it. That way you can really clean up your guitar, polish your frets, condition your board if needed, etc.
And yes, every time you check the intonation, as every string set is different even if using the same one.
Get used to this and your guitar will play and sound the best it can : )

jwguitar

I have to remove all six strings from my electric guitar and clean the pickups and the area near the pickups from dust.

I’m afraid it will damage the intonation.
In what order should I install the strings?
Any other tips to avoid changing the intonation?

I saw some YouTube tutorials about adjusting intonation but I have no experience doing it, so it will be best not to have to.

Thanks in advance.
I used to be afraid to do that too for the same reason. There really isn’t anything to worry about. When you put the new strings on odds are the intonation will be on point. Besides there is no such thing as perfect intonation on a guitar anyways!

Guppie

Never changed your strings before?
Maybe it is time to learn to intonate your guitar yourself. It's not hard and close enough is good enough.
Don't overthink it. You are not going to ruin your guitar. Just don't cut all six strings under tension. Loosen them first.

Eireguitar

I only do it if I have to, once a year or so for a cleanup. And I'd always check the setup afterwards, because there's bound to be a slight difference once tension has completely been taken off the neck and put back on.

Everyone has different tolerances though, as evidenced by the replies in the thread. Slightly wrong intonation will bother some people a lot, whereas it won't bother others at all.

markmann

If I want to clean my board or work on any guitar I pull all of the strings with no issue. Depending on the guitar and how long the strings are off you may need to let the neck settle back in for a bit. Don't make adjustments immediately after putting strings on.

Trending Topics