Removing all the finish from a neck?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Randy Van Sykes, Aug 14, 2006.

1. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

I love bare wood finished with oil for necks...thinking of removing all the finish (nitro) from a Strat neck...including headstock.
    Could some type of lacquer remover do the job easily?
    Has anyone tried it with excellent results?

Thanks

2. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

What kind of Strat is it that it has a lacquer finished neck?

Personally, I'd buy an unfinished neck from someone like Warmoth, have them install a cut nut. Then install a good set of tuners, and a string tree.

Stick the lacquer finished neck in the box the Warmoth came in, and just hang onto it.

3. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Thanks!

I was just thinking the same thing as well...keep the original neck in "like new" condition and just buy a replacement neck...is a Warmoth neck one of the best replacement necks?

4. jaycee

jaycee Member

If you do it yourself, use #0000 steel wool. I've done it a couple times with great results.

5. Rocktrans formed

Rocktrans formed Member

Do *want* the neck to warp? The finish is on there for a reason.

6. Pete Galati

Pete Galati Member

I'm hearing a lot of good things about USCG bodies and necks. A lot of people claim they're better. So far, I haven't bought anything from them yet though. I know that they're much more flexible about how they'll build something for you.

But Warmoth does do a very nice job with necks, and the frets were very level on both necks I got from them.

Pete

7. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

I like the unfinished necks as well. I have used both tung and teak oil with great results. Warmoth necks are nice but I like dealing with Tommy over at USA custom guitars better. He will pretty much make the neck the way you want it and most options are not an upcharge. His fretwork I think is better then warmoth's. The only drawback is the wait time and his headstocks are not accurate Fender repos. You will need to do some filing if you want it close to the Fenders.

8. Randy Van Sykes

Randy Van Sykes Member

Update....

I went nuts the other day, I can't stand finished necks....so I took the maple strat neck off and started sanding....

All the finish from the back of the neck is gone, smoothed it with some 0000 steel wool and put a few coats of oil on it and let it sink in overnight...next day wiped it down, put her back together, adjusted the action, set the intonation....ahhhhhh.

She's a beaut! 100% more enjoyable to play! :AOK

9. HHB

HHB Member

check out Allparts if your looking for necks, it's Fender Japan and tre cool
    [​IMG]

10. The Golden Boy

The Golden Boy Member

When I was a kid there was this dude named Randy who had a Kramer Stryker and fancied himself a guitar player. He didn't know any chords, he couldn't play any leads, but he sure could attempt to do two handed tapping. He did it about as well as me. And that's not good. He'd bust out his really bad tapping thing and say "pretty cool, hey?" Randy was a nice guy, so we'd say-"sure Randy." But it didn't stop us from referring to him as "Randy Van Halen."

Sorry, the username just brought back that gem of a memory.