Removing bottom plates from pedals

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by Muzik4Machines, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

i'm still making the plans for my pedal board and it occured to me that the bottom plate (especially on boss pedals) is pretty heavy, since i plan to use the bike chain link attaches, could i simply remove all bottom plates on every pedal on the board? will it create noise and interference? i was thinking of putting copper foil tape on the board to still have them shielded.

any thoughts on this? (next idea is to have all pedals uncased and recased in 1 or 2 giant aluminium boxes)

2. bobbyatomic

bobbyatomic Member

Velcro is popular for many reasons, I imagine the number one reason is it's incredibly convenient when you want to move or remove a pedal on your board. While there's nothing wrong with the way you're planning on doing it, it just seems a bit final, and if there's one thing I've learned in my forty plus years on the planet it's that what you love today you may not necessarily love tomorrow.

Stratobuc and NicDo like this.
  3. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

That'S my studio board, i don't expect it to change for the next 5 years, my live board is a different beast tho :)

4. RAILhead

RAILhead (real name is Maury, BTW) Gold Supporting Member

For kicks, I pulled doff a standard-size pedal back. It has paint and two velcro strips. It weighs-in at 1.6 ounces.

I don't know how many pedals you have, but if my quick math is correct, if you had, say, 20 pedals at 1.6 ounces, that's 32 ounces, or just 2 pounds.

Not sure if the 2 pounds is worth the trouble.

Multicellular likes this.
  5. plawren53202

plawren53202 Member

Based on some of craphole joints my pedalboard has been in, I don't know that I would want to do anything that provides more access for dust and dirt and grime to get inside my pedals. I don't have any scientific knowledge to back that up, but dust and dirt having an easier time accessing the circuit board, switches and jacks of my pedals just seems like a bad idea.

Multicellular and Muzik4Machines like this.
  6. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

22 pedals (3 double boss), boss pedals back are way heavier than mxr style pedals too, some of them have like a steel plate added. but I'm mostly asking for the future, are back plates necessary if i shield the board?, i might go the re-case everything that is in series together route too

7. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

If it's a studio board, is weight really that important ? It seems like it could be done without issue, as long as the board surface the open back pedal sits on, is non-fiberous. Soft Velcro sheds, is that why you would use copper foil tape ? Seems like a lot of hassle, just to save 2 or 3 pounds ? Re-case everything in series... Why ?

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  8. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

or shielding, i plan to screw the pedals in the board either directly through the board or with the bike chain links

it's important because I live on the 4th floor :)

9. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

Go for it... If it doesn't work out, put the backs back on the pedals.

10. broken_sound

broken_sound Silver Supporting Member

Why not cut out a thin sheet of plastic to cover the bottom of each pedal, using the bottom plate as a template, just in case of spills or dust?

11. Stratobuc

Stratobuc Member

Why re-case everything when replacement backplates are available? I would take the rubber pads off the bottom, or simply buy backplates, but Velcro would be the best solution.

12. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

I want to remove the backplate for the weight, not for the assembly

13. dhdfoster

dhdfoster Silver Supporting Member

I guess I’m lazy because I’d rather eliminate or consolidate some pedals before I’d go through all that trouble, and long before my board got to 22 pedals.

At that size, I just think that the back plates are much of a factor in the weight.

14. tubekingsley

tubekingsley Member

As long as you keep the dust out, it should work fine. So it would weigh, say... 32lbs vs 35lbs- seems like like a lot to go through, 4th floor or not...

Last edited: Apr 28, 2016
  15. Muzik4Machines

Muzik4Machines Member

elimination is done from 32 lol, my problem is my 2 parallel fuzzez that use each 3 pedals (line selector plus 2 fuzz each) plus a true bypass looper, the rest is pretty standard, fuzzface, mammoth, rat, klone, 2 delays, eq, booster, etc