Removing hiss from recordings

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by copernicus, Jan 21, 2008.

1. copernicus

copernicus Member

My amp has a pretty loud hiss when it is on the clean channel, so when I record clean it has a faint hiss in the background. Is there anyway to remove this with a plugin?

2. mnsixstring

mnsixstring Member

I'm not sure if a gate added post would take care of it, but it might be worth a shot.

3. jbltwin1

jbltwin1 Member

I usually end up placing the mic off to the side more, a little farther away and using more amp volume so that I can lower the input gain on the channel. Crude but usually effective. As long as the hiss doesn't get louder with volume that is!

4. LeonardScaper

LeonardScaper Member

I use Waves Z-Noise on almost all of my guit tracks, especially clean tube amps.

Gotta take care with these types of plugs as unwanted artifacts can be nasty. Multiple conservative passes is the ticket.

5. Hiwatt Bob

Hiwatt Bob Member

my crude method is usually just to minimize it with EQ. if you cut the highest frequency bands--you can usually minimize hiss greatly without sacrificing the quality of the recording.

6. headstack

headstack Member

I use Waves X-noise to remove hiss and other unwanted, continuous noise sources in recordings. Be sure to print some plain noise (room tone/noise) so you have a noise signature for the plug to recognize.
    I had mastering job a while ago with a really noisy track. I found a 1/16 rest that was clean, grabbed that, copied and pasted a bunch of times, crosfading each edit so there were no clicks and used that for my noise signature. It took a while, but was definitely worth it.