Removing paint from Tolex Cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Evilmusician80, Feb 13, 2008.

1. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

Hey guys just bought a 25th Anniversary Marshall Silver Jubilee 412 Cabinet (but one of the previous owners painted over the thing with black paint! errrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr:BITCH ,was wondering if anyone knew or had experiance removing paint from tolex ,this thing is in awesome shape and rare ,so Id like to get it back to original state cheers!
    Oh yeah I did a search and there are a couple things Im considering but would like more input as well thanks !

2. davebc

davebc Member

Damn, that's a lot of paint. Latex or oil?(sorry, I couldn't resist)
    I remember reading in Kendrick's books that the sticky side of tape actually works very wel to remove paintl, may well be worth a try.
    I'll try and find the chapter and see what kind of tape he recommended.

3. Smakutus

Smakutus Member

I had a friend that picked up a brown Fender Deluxe that someone had painted black.. He couldn't get all the black paint off of it so he ended up painting the tolex brown and it looked great.

Jeff

4. Jaybird03

Jaybird03 Member

If it is latex paint, you might try a product called "Krudcutter" which you would find at a Paint store. Y]They also have a line of Graffiti removers that might work. Try it on a nonvisible spot before proceeding. I have had success with the Krudcutter by applying it , using a toothbrush to agitae and loosen paint and then wiping off the paint with a rag. I imagine with black, it will take several reapplications and much patiece. Good luck.

5. csparks75

csparks75 Member

I'm still amazed that someone would do that to a cab...:confused:

6. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

Before

[​IMG]

After

[​IMG]

Mostly latex some gloss spray paint. I used Goof Off over a gallon and a scrub brush. Wiped most of it off into rags then I went over it with Goof again and used a pressure washer for the remaining paint. Be careful with the pressure washer too close and you'll tear up the Levant.

7. Evilmusician80

Evilmusician80 Member

ohhhhhhhhhhhh this is gonna be a pain in the @ss!:Spank