Removing poly paint questions

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jcmark611, May 21, 2008.

1. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Well, ok, it's just one question. How do I do it? I've got an old Mexican Strat that I would to see in a new color and since I am pretty close the RS Guitars I would love for them to paint it. Question is, how do I remove the paint?

2. Cybercat

Cybercat Member

My luthier friend recommends a blow-torch! [​IMG]

3. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

A chemical paint stripper is pretty much the only way. Poly-based paint / lacquer is stubborn stuff so take your time. Also, keep in mind that refinishing is oftentimes more expensive than picking up a prefinished body on eBay or even ordering a custom finished body from Warmoth or Allparts.

4. Ramhead

Ramhead Member

5. greenlander

greenlander Member

A heat gun and a scraper would be the quickest and "easiest" (though removing poly is never an easy process). Just keep the gun moving to avoid scorching the wood and wear eye protection. Also watch out in case you overheat any glued joints or seams and they start separating.

Chemical strippers are foul and nasty to clean up and most of them won't even begin to strip poly unless you put it on the guitar body and leave it in a trash bag for several days. Fumes are bad, so watch out.

Sanding...ha ha ha. Hope you're on steroids.

Overall your best bet for stripping poly is to avoid doing it. Ever. The most common statement from someone who has stripped a poly guitar body is "I will never do that again!".

6. DonM

DonM Member

polyester is not phased by stripper - heat guns may burn dark circles into the wood and the fumes from molten ploy are way to harsh on you and your shop or apt./house..etc.. -- and under heat ploy chips - crackles and it does explode blasting hot 3rd degree burn causing paint chips in your face and eyes arms -and over on to the cat - dog - kids -hamster - gold fish..etc....

so the best way to solve this is to - ebay the body and get a new bare wood body from , Mario @ guitar mill Nashville or jaydawg right here on tgp

7. jota

jota Member

So, how to do this?
    Is a Baja Tele.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

8. Relicaster

Relicaster Member

just sell it and start over with raw wood. been saying that since 1981

9. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

Only two things I know of will take Poly off - Aircraft stripper and heat. Neither of which are fun, or good for your health, or guitar. If you are going back with a solid color just scuff sand, shoot it with BIN then lacquer - here's the bare bones low down on refinishing:

http://reranch.com/101.htm

10. scottish

scottish Member

Ive used chemical stripper from home depot on mexicasters before and had no problems. The cans always recommend you brush on the stripper and leave it for 15-30 minutes. Id suggest leaving for 45-1hr. After that go at it with a PLASTIC wallpaper scraper, being careful not to gouge the wood. It will take a few rounds of this to get it cleaned up enough to go sanding. At this point id use some kind of electric sander, again being very careful not to destroy the contour on the edges...its very very easy to do that with an electric sander.

11. JLee

JLee Supporting Member

I've also used Home Depot chemical strippers to strip a MIM Tele. Took 2 days of hardcore work including a lot of hand sanding. PAIN IN THE ASS!

12. jcmark611

jcmark611 Member

Eh. I cannot sell it because it is my first guitar. I guess I'll just keep the paint as is.

13. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

Excellent idea! :AOK

14. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

If you're gonna paint it a solid color the best thing to do is degrease, sand, and top coat over the poly otherwise the methods above.