Removing stubborn volume knobs...

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by jrm, Sep 12, 2008.

1. jrm

jrm Member

So.. last night I was replacing the volume and tone knobs on my les Paul. 3 come off without a hitch. However, the 4th, not so much. I was using a show string to get under the knob and gently pop it off. However, this 4th one wasn't budging. So I apply more force, and then a little more, and then a little more, and then... bang! I rip the shaft out of the pot along with the knob. Crap. Now, there's just a hole in my guitar where the bridge pickup volume knob should be.

So, I'm SOL for about a week until I can get a replacement pot in. Bummer.

anyone got any tips for the future when I try and do this again?

-jon

2. FrankieSixxxgun

FrankieSixxxgun Member

Nah, the shoe string is the way to go. Sounds like Gibson just put that one on too hard from the factory. Sometimes you can resituate the shoe string on a different angle and try. Maybe spray a little lube up in there.

3. OlAndrew

OlAndrew Member

warm the knob somewhat with a hair drier. Watch you don't cook it to death, but hot enough so you can just touch it. Let it sit a bit and do it again. Now do the pulling thing, while its hot. The plastic will expand and lose its grip on the metal pot post. The repeated heat and cool thing will crack the grip a bit.

4. jrm

jrm Member

well, that is a good idea! Thanks Andew. I'll remember that for next time.

5. LPguitarman

LPguitarman Member

I got lucky when I replaced my top hat knobs with speed knobs on my Gibson Les Paul. The top hats came aff fairly easy.

On my sons Epi Thunderbird Bass, my guitar technician actually used a strong polishing cloth and got it under the knob also wrapping all the way around the bottom of the knob. He had to work with them a little, but he eventually got them off.

6. dvilla76

dvilla76 Member

7. John Hurtt

John Hurtt Supporting Member

I like using a couple spoons to gently pry up the knobs. You get even pressure this way.

8. bluehugh2

bluehugh2 Gold Supporting Member

9. 908SSP

908SSP Supporting Member

If you don't mind trashing the knob you could cut it with a Dremel tool cut off wheel. It will save the pot and trash the knob, your choice.

10. geetarman

geetarman Member