• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Removing the Bright Cap in my DRRI??...

smogfalls

Hi,

I'm pretty sure I'm gonna perform this mod but just wanted to confirm a couple of things first...

Does this mean the "Vibrato" channel will sound exactly like the "normal" channel? Or does it still have a bit more brightness, just not so much?
And also, is it easy enough to reverse the mod if I decide I prefered things as they were?

Thanks ever so much,
Xan :)

mbratch

The Vibrato & Normal channels have a different value coupling capacitor going to the phase inverter circuit. So they also have a different tonal response. So clipping the bright cap won't make them sound identical.

If you like the sound of the Normal channel but want reverb and tremolo, then I'd suggest the "reverb/tremolo on both channels" mod. It works great on the vintage DR. I have not seen a diagram or instructions for doing it on the DRRI, but I'm sure it's possible without too much fuss.

mbratch

Here's the mod I was thinking of. You don't even remove a resistor. Just move a wire.

Reverb/Trem both channels

I did this mod on my BFDR. I saved the old wire instead of cutting it and put a new wire in (to preserve the vintage mojo haha). This is a very versatile mod. I use my darker, fatter sounding guitars on the vib channel, and my brighter single coil on the normal channel.

Gnarlly

I clipped the bright cap in my DRRI. With both channels setup at a similar volume, with T/B both on 5 and trem/reverb off, the Vibrato channel will have a little bit more treble, and a little less bass, but they will sound similar. The Vibrato channel also sounds a little more aggressive to me.

I use an A/B switch, and primarily play through the normal channel. When I need a slight solo/volume boost, I set the Vibrato channel a little louder and A/B between the two. Works great.

smogfalls

excellent, cheers for all the responses guys. It's much appreciated. I'm gonna attempt to install a "bright" switch so I can either include the cap in the circuit or leave it out. Sounds like a fairly easy mod.

Trending Topics