Removing the ugly "E" from Epi pickguard

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by slackandsteel, Jul 22, 2008.

1. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

Has anyone successfully removed the butt-ugly "E" from the Korean Epiphone pickguard and made it look ok? I have an Epi Emperor Regent (the archtop with the floating pickup and volume and tone controls on the pickguard).

It's a great playing, good sounding and good looking axe except for that "E"!

2. disaster

disaster Member

It'll probably just fall off eventually. Mine's barely stuck on with some sketchy glue stuff. Pull it off and then clean off the reidue with a little windex.

3. HammyD

HammyD Member

I would think removing the pickguard and then gently heating the "E" with a hair drieer would cause the glue to release.

4. slackandsteel

slackandsteel Member

I was able to get it off by prying it with my fingernail! I didn't realize it was such a wimpy little thing.

The guitar looks much better without it.

5. Roy

Roy Member

A good way to remove almost any "stick on" emblem from Guitars, cars, boats etc is: Heat the emblem with a hair dryer then pull it off by using fishing line to 'saw' it off. This will remove the emblem or letter without any chips in your paint.

6. mark norwine

mark norwine Member

peal it with your fingernail. Remove the glue residue with *denatured alcohol

(*don't use alcohol on varnish or shellac)

7. Bob V

Bob V Member

Are you embarassed that it's an Epiphone? I admit I didn't find a reason to glue it back on when mine fell off, but I wouldn't affirmatively go out of my way to remove it.

8. museissex11

museissex11 Member

hi, i dunno why but my "E" badge fell off my brand new epiphone dot and i want it back does aybody know how to get one ? thanks .andy

9. NoahL

NoahL Member

well, you can be in love with epis and still think that jaunty "e" is dorky and obtrusive.