Removing tubes from a Deluxe Reverb

JeffMac9121

A friend of mine on a Facebook forum tells me that he plays through his vintage Deluxe Reverb with the preamp tubes in v1 and v5 completely removed. Since he doesn’t use tremolo or play through the first channel I suppose it doesn’t matter but he’s telling me by doing that it enhances the tone and gives him a fatter sound and later break up. Does that make ANY sense to anyone??

Todd Lynch

Yep. I use the second channel only of my mid-70's Deluxe using V2, V4 & V6 only. Great headroom, et. al. The gain/signal amplitude is increased by not having it wasted into channels/features you're not using.

8len8

Silver Supporting Member
A friend of mine on a Facebook forum tells me that he plays through his vintage Deluxe Reverb with the preamp tubes in v1 and v5 completely removed. Since he doesn’t use tremolo or play through the first channel I suppose it doesn’t matter but he’s telling me by doing that it enhances the tone and gives him a fatter sound and later break up. Does that make ANY sense to anyone??
It’s a well known mod:

https://robrobinette.com/AB763_Modifications.htm

Stormin

Tele's and Plexis
I do the exact same thing on my ‘71. V1 is the normal channel preamp tube (I never use that channel) and V5 is the tremolo tube (don’t use that either).

Removing them both adds preamp gain and give the amp a bit of a hotter sound.

ripgtr

it enhances the tone
It changes the tone. Whether that is considered an enhancement is personal preference.

I have a SFDR. I've tried all sorts of mods on it. Lifting the trem, pulling V 1, changing the mid resistor to ground (or putting in a pot), using 12ax7 for PI, etc.
Most of them I have put back to stock, but I did keep the switch on the bright cap, and I did change the PI input to BF specs (a common thing to do on the SF ones). Everything else went back to stock - well, the trem lift I have on a switch, I do like it at really low volumes to give some umph, but I never use it at gig volume.

One of the things is, the DR is a great sounding amp, as is. Changing things changes the sound. Is that an enhancement? Most of the time, I have found no, and go back to stock. The whole reason I have a DR is because I LIKE the way it sounds. Trying to change it to be something else loses more than it gains, for me, most of the time.

That being said, pull the tube, it won't hurt anything. (Note: I've never pulled the "vibrato" tube, not sure how that would effect things, but it not drawing current probably changes the voltage other tubes get, but I don't know). If you like it, cool, if not, put it back in. Remember, tubes get hot when the amp is on.

aeolian

I did change the PI input to BF specs (a common thing to do on the SF ones). Everything else went back to stock
I can't remember the value off the top of my head but I changing mine to a value halfway inbetween. Fatter than a SF but not as flubby as a BF. But the amp was not going to be as flubby anyway as I'd replaced the blown OT with one from Allen that has the correct windings for 6V6s and 8 ohms. Real Deluxes have OTs that are 16 ohms. Meaning an 8 ohm speaker unloads the amp slightly and gives a looser bottom end. I know the one time I was able to look in the back of Robben's DR it had a 15 ohm Celestion in it.

HotBluePlates

A friend of mine on a Facebook forum tells me that he plays through his vintage Deluxe Reverb with the preamp tubes in v1 and v5 completely removed. ...
It changes the tone. Whether that is considered an enhancement is personal preference. ...
I tried that way back, and found the claimed difference over-hyped IMO compared to reality. However, if you don't use the onboard trem, there's no use leaving a tube in the V5 socket to wear down over time.

... Real Deluxes have OTs that are 16 ohms. ...
?? My understanding is they're 6.6kΩ:8Ω. If you like I can check my DR.

ripgtr

I tried that way back, and found the claimed difference over-hyped IMO compared to reality. However, if you don't use the onboard trem, there's no use leaving a tube in the V5 socket to wear down over time.
Do you mean pulling the tube, or lifting the wire that goes to the trem pot?

I haven't ever pulled the tube, that would still leave the loss through the trem pot anyway, I'd think (I haven't looked at the schematic so not sure). As I had mentioned, I do have the lift of the wire to the pot on a switch. It is certainly noticeable, and adds a nice heft at low bedroom or quiet rehearsal kind of things. But turning the amp up and it does lose some of that thing that makes a DR a DR. Like most of the mods. Trying to make a DR not a DR, and I like it because it IS a DR.

HotBluePlates

Do you mean pulling the tube, or lifting the wire that goes to the trem pot? ...
I meant pulling the tube from the socket.

... that would still leave the loss through the trem pot anyway ... I do have the lift of the wire to the pot on a switch. It is certainly noticeable, and adds a nice heft at low bedroom or quiet rehearsal kind of things. But turning the amp up and it does lose some of that thing that makes a DR a DR. ...
You're correct that not-removing the wire to the trem pot still imposes some signal-loading. And that there is certainly an impact when removing that wire. Whether the result is desirable is up to the individual player.

Trending Topics