Removing tubes?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by redmax61, Aug 11, 2006.

1. redmax61

redmax61 Member

A friend of mine is wanting to use the preamp in Fender Pro Reverb, but he doesn't want the amp to drive any speakers. I recommended the use of something like a Hot Plate to keep a load on the power section. The tech at a local store told him to just pull the power tubes out of it and not even worry about a load.

This sounds like a crock to me. How safe is this practice?

2. AdmiralB

AdmiralB Silver Supporting Member

Is this a BF/SF Pro, or one of the recent 'Pro-Tube' models? I ask because I wonder how the preamp in a BF/SF is going to be accessed, otherwise, unless it's through the reverb send.

In any case, pulling the power tubes will do the job.

3. wgs1230

wgs1230 Fully Intonatable Silver Supporting Member

No crock, completely safe. Jerry Garcia ran a preamp-tapped Twin, no power tubes, into a Macintosh 2300 power amp for ~15yrs.

Take a look:
    http://www.dozin.com/gear/preamp/mod.html

4. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    What WGS said, though you may want to monitor the plate voltage on the preamp tubes which will increase without the load from the power tubes.

5. redmax61

redmax61 Member

Let me rephrase the question. The guy knows little or nothing about tube amps. You mentioned monitoring plate voltages on the preamp tubes.

Can this be done safely by a "tube moron"?