• New Sponsor: ShipNerd, Ship Your Gear with Us... for less! Click Here.

Removing varnish from copper wire?

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
Like pickup wire.
I have this super fine wire from a mic cartridge to repair and I'll have to splice it.
I can hardly see it and do not want to try scraping.
I need a nice solvent with no residue to clean this off. One drop.
Anything?

hogy

Silver Supporting Member
Pull the wire through some folded 600 grit sand paper.

Other than that, I'd try acetone or MEK.

walterw

Platinum Supporting Member
I have this super fine wire from a mic cartridge to repair and I'll have to splice it.
I can hardly see it and do not want to try scraping.
pics please.

i've fixed pickups where the lead was broken near the eyelet and the wire wouldn't survive being unwrapped for more free length, by making a "bridge" of a bit of thicker wire bent and soldered into place such that i could then solder the fine wire onto it.

sometimes gently brushing one side of the wire with a razor blade was enough to expose some metal for solder to find, other times just a bit of solder flux let the solder cut through the insulation on its own more effectively.

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
pics please.
See those 2 mighty fine wires?
These are the leads from the coil of an SM58, that have to run to mounting terminals to which the cable connector leads attach.
This is inside the body of the capsule.

Last edited:

walterw

These are the leads from the coil of an SM58, that have to run to mounting terminals to which the cable connector leads attach.
so they're too short to just loop through those mounting terminal holes, which you can then just fill with solder? (haven't taken a 58 fully apart like this before)

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
I usually just solder it and the soldering iron melts the coating off the wire.
I think these might only stand up to a single pass. Having them primed to go might help.

so they're too short to just loop through those mounting terminal holes, which you can then just fill with solder? (haven't taken a 58 fully apart like this before)
Short.
Somehow they were broken away from the terminal holes. I will try to make some sort of little loop to catch these leads and then add on.

aussie_owner

Gold Supporting Member
It depends on what the varnish is. Some can be burned off with a lighter, or a blob of solder and some flux with a soldering iron. Other types of varnish are not so easily removed and will require mechanical methods, like scraping or sandpaper. (Polythermaleze is virtually indestructible, I've had to deal with this stuff when winding transformers and inductors. It's often used on magnet wire.)

Tone_Terrific

Silver Supporting Member
have you scraped a patch on each wire end and tested with an ohmmeter to see if the coil is even still good?
I did that initially but was not sure if I penetrated the coating. Looks open.
After considerable messing about I have given up. This is thinner than pup wire. I checked.
The wire burns, BTW:D.

Mark Robinson

Late to this but a q-tip with acetone is good for older wires. It's tough to do for most folks. A magnifier and steady hands help.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom