Renewable Energy

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Creighton, Feb 25, 2015.

1. Creighton

Creighton Member

Just want to get a general view of where people are at on this issue. I've heard that untapped geothermal power alone (drilling in the earths crust to harness heat for power) could satisy the worlds energy needs for the next 5,000 years. Not to mention solar power, wind farms, tidal power etc.

The potential for job creation by implementing these technologies is almost unlimited, yet we have continued to destroy our atmosphere and biosphere by drilling and spilling oil and radioactive waste, when we could instead becaome a world leader in renewable resources. Why are we not allocating more of our resources and funds towards implementing these technologies on a wide scale and a faster pace for our long term prosperity, both environemntal and economic?

2. TwoTubMan

TwoTubMan Member

3. schmidlin

schmidlin Member

Ditto. I for one am going save me a lot of grief and hit the Ignore Thread button right now. #facepalm

4. Echoes

Echoes Senior Member

Well, if we do that then a handful of Uber rich greedy megalomaniacs can't control everyone by owning holding operating and profiting off of the world's energy needs....

5. 4styx

4styx Member

Harmful non renewable resources is where the money's at.

6. bayAreaDude

bayAreaDude Member

You are correct, sir.

7. davess23

davess23 Member

Before this derails into the usual Internet morass of feces-hurling, hate-fueled political wrangling...where I live I'm seeing growing use of wind power. Maybe it's because I'm a sailor, but I like the idea of getting energy from the wind. I've heard some negative stuff, mostly NIMBY-driven, about the windmills, but I think there's great potential there for cutting reliance on non-renewables.

8. loudboy

loudboy Member

Follow the money.

The amount of $ at stake in keeping the status quo is staggering - revenues for the Top 10 oil companies were just north of $3 trillion in 2014.

Every dollar made w/renewable energy is one less dollar for them, so they do what they need to do to insure that things remain profitable for them.

9. NormH3

NormH3 Member

You're never going to get everyone in your neighborhood, much less the world, to switch to geo-thermal regardless if it saves the Earth or not. If you're up for it, I'd say give it a go.

10. figgy

figgy Member

perhaps, but my instincts tell me someone will control the new energy and profit off of the world's energy needs.

11. hellbender

hellbender Member

Meanwhile states are quietly adding more renewable facilities every day.

Texas leads the nation in wind power installations and its blessed with tons of oil.

12. specialidiot

specialidiot most likely to seceede Supporting Member

What's the cost to develop and deploy this technology at a price point the consumers will accept?

(eventually without gov't subsidy, but that's probably dreaming)

13. Kitten Cannon

Kitten Cannon Member

Which makes me wonder why they aren't the ones leading the charge. They might find much better margins as the oil gets harder to get out of the ground.

14. hi-fi-dave

hi-fi-dave Member

"The Man" doesn't want you self sufficient.

I don't know if it will happen (we are still a way off) but I can tell you big utility companies would be very upset if people started to leave the electrical grid.

They don't want you to be able to buy things that could totally replace your dependance on their services (ie solar/wind with battery tech). Similar to when buggy whip makers were upset when cars replace horses; they lost most of their customers.

Then we still have the problem of how will energy intensive industries (ie steel manufacturing) get energy at a reasonable cost?

15. rmconner80

rmconner80 Cantankerous Luddite Silver Supporting Member

Well, it's not a conspiracy. Fossil fuels are quite simply the most economical option for cheap, powerful energy if you look at it in terms of short term gains. By short term I mean a scale of human generations, or lifetimes. We don't really think beyond that. So while there are very very real economic consequences to releasing into the atmosphere over a period of 300 years the sum total of carbon that it took a billion years to lock into solids... it's not "my" problem. I.e. the issue is going to affect other people, other generations, "not me". Those costs do not enter into most calculations of cost/benefit.

If you look just at the earth's geothermal power in totality, sure, the energy there is staggering. But how much can we actually harness? And how much of that is economically viable to harness? It's fractions of fractions. It's misleading to consider the sum total of the earth's energy because we can't access the vast majority of it, and never will.

16. TeleBlack

TeleBlack Senior Member

17. hi-fi-dave

hi-fi-dave Member

But you would have competition between several manufactures driving down price while increasing efficiency.

Most people only have one electrical provider. If you placed the electrical poles they are your customers (most of the time) Currently, the cost the electrical grid is very expensive. You have to maintain the poles, electrical wires, outages, transformers, substations, etc.

18. loudboy

loudboy Member

Until recently, the oil business has been like printing money. The profit margins aren't there in renewable energy.

The same thing happened to Kodak - silver halide photographic film/products were virtually free to manufacture. Tremendous profit margins, which allowed them to build a giant infrastructure, and employ thousands of people for life.

You'd think that they would have been able to make the switch to digital imaging, especially considering they held many of the patents on digital technology, but the profit margins just weren't there. They'll be lucky to be here at all in 5 years.

19. hellbender

hellbender Member

Utilities can profit from renewables if they would just get their heads out of their collective asses.

20. Glowing Tubes

Glowing Tubes Gold Supporting Member

Bring it. I, for one would love to see us headed that direction sooner rather than later.

That is the unfortunate truth. Greed is hurting us.

It will be.

Eventually when there is enough money to be made, these compaies will jump in and take over the market.