1. A proposal is now up as a poll to change the guidelines of TGP to only allow member self-deleting of post/threads for up to thirty days of the original posting it. We are now watching the poll here. Click here to view the thread.

Dismiss Notice

rent a drummer? drum forums?

Discussion in 'Recording/Live Sound' started by neastguy, May 19, 2011.

1. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

I signed up with a drum forum just to see if anyone would want to record drums on some of my tracks.... of course I basically got crickets.... what do you guys do? I hate programming drums and would rather have a live drummer... has anyone had any luck collaborating via the interwebs?

2. dramaticrunner

dramaticrunner Member

3. kludge

kludge The droid you're looking for Silver Supporting Member

Do you live in a major metropolitan area? Try craigslist. Or get in touch with some local bands you like and see if their drummers might be willing to do some session work.

4. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

YES!!! I use Brian Fullen. www.brianfullen.com.

I have used him for three songs so far. I can't upload samples because the project is not complete - I have nothing mixed to the point of wanting to reveal it just yet.

You get steller drum tracks and a very affordable price. He usually charges me about $100 per song and my tunes have ranged from funky upbeat stuff to 8.5 minute celtic/jazzy/rock instrumental stuff.

I cannot say enough great things about this guy.

You furnish him a scratch track played to a click and the click track as separate audio tracks. I use Dropbox to communicate with him. Your scratch track does not have to be perfect, just close. I have actually sent him some pretty lame scratch tracks and he still came through. You will get back tracks that are precise, but played with the feel you are looking for. You can give him as much instruction as you want or leave it to him to interpret. I usually furnish rather sparse instructions.

Give him a try. You will not be sorry.

5. Sunbreak Music

Sunbreak Music Member

Check with Mark Zonder. He's best known for prog work but is far more versatile than that. Feel free to mention my name.

www.markzonder.com

Of course, to get the most out of a live drummer it's important to know how to mix live drums, so expect a learning curve if you haven't done this. Most will send quite a few tracks.....

6. southtone

southtone Member

That's awesome he's doing e-sessions now.

I interned at a studio a while back and he was a regular for sessions. He was absolutely incredible. Fantastic ear. He's just a great drummer.

7. Kenny D

Kenny D Member

I have never met him personally. He came recommended from a local producer (who is working on my CD) who knows him personally and has done lots of projects with Brian.

I was at my wit's end with drummers and almost cancelled my project because I could not find a good studio drummer. I was also apprehensive about the whole internet thing. All my fears were unfounded.

Brian rocks. He is going to do all the drumming on my project.

8. 21stcenturykid

21stcenturykid Member

9. Dajbro

Dajbro Member

I used to play with this guy in Dallas. Great guy and drummer. He went on to bigger things with Collective Soul.

http://livedrumtracks.com/

10. Sebastian

Sebastian Member

+1. I've worked with Ryan Hoyle a bunch (livedrumtracks.com) and the experience was stellar in every way. Highly, highly recommended. He's got great gear, is super-professional, and an all around good guy.

Can't wait to work with him again. Just have to write some new songs...

11. neastguy

neastguy Supporting Member

well this is just for fun.. definitely not pro.. cause I'm definitely not a pro :) I'll check out those other forums listed.. thanks for the input and ideas