Repainting an Anderson

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Sid, Aug 6, 2008.

1. Sid

Sid Member

I recently received an older Droptop Classic from a friend of mine, he purchased it from the custom shop a couple of years ago i guess, and had requested for the body's maple top to be painted solid surf green.

I was wondering if I could get some details on how to get that solid paint removed and get it painted to show off the maple top.

How much should a process like this cost??

Is it even remotely possible that I can do this myself? I have no experience.:D

2. testing1two

testing1two Gold Supporting Member

I would not make my first experiment with guitar refinishing a drop top Anderson. The first thing to do is call TAG and tell them about the guitar and see if they were the ones who refinished it. They'll be able to tell you the original specs by the serial #. I guarantee this project will not be cheap regardless of who you take it to, but sending it to TAG will give the guitar a first rate finish and an outstanding custom shop setup that will make the guitar truly 'as good as new.' YMMV

3. Sid

Sid Member

being in singapore means shipping to anderson and back will cost me around 600%:crazyguy

4. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

You don't know what the maple even looks like...leave it green and enjoy the heck out of it.

5. Sid

Sid Member

i absolutely love the guitar but hate the way it looks...if i have to drop a few 100 on it to get that maple top...so be it:D ive been thinking of pimping it out a bit...put in new pups...backplate single coil etc etc...a repaint is definitely on the cards

6. Rosewood

Rosewood Member

They reserve the crappiest tops for solid colors, you may not like what you see. It's a gamble.

7. Sid

Sid Member

I emailed them and they told me that once I sand of the paint, the body will look crappy since it wont be finishhed...i think i will keep the solid color:hide

8. edwarddavis

edwarddavis Supporting Member

We must think alike in CT