Repair rip in tolex on cabinet

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by Phil H, May 4, 2008.

1. Phil H

Phil H Member

Help , Ive been searching the internet trying to find out if theres a glue or something I can use to glue down the tear. Its an older Marshall1965A cab.I caught it on the storm door,and put atear in it. Other then that its in great shape. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated! Thanks
    Phil

2. PRNDL

PRNDL Member

DAP Weldwood is what many builders use for tolex.
    The secret is to apply it to both sides and let it dry to tack before gluing them together.

Other than that, general purpose glue will also work, as will Super Glue, which is fine for small tears.

The difference is pieces can be easily separated and repositioned with weldwood, and heat softens it for easy removal later (when putting new tolex on).

Use some tape to hold the pieces down while the glue dries if the edges begin to curl up, which happens in corners.

3. Phil H

Phil H Member

Thank you for the advise, I wanted to repair it right! Ive also thought of having it re tolexed at a later time. Im in the Detroit area , and have been trying to find some one that does this, but no luck yet. Thanks again Phil!

4. 52ftbuddha

52ftbuddha Member

Tolex is like many fabric based coverings. My wife's restaurant used to have vinyl seats and we would have a guy come in to repair them with a heating tool and similarly colored plastics. He would use a backer material to get the texture correct. In most cases the repair was invisible. I would think a similar approach would work for cabinet coverings once they had been glued back in place with a tolex glue.

5. Structo

Structo Member

6. 5881

5881 Supporting Member

I use contact cement (rubber glue), and like the DAP, apply thin coat to both sides (a piece of matchbook cardboard is good) , let tack up and go. A black Sharpie to touch up any white threads or the seam works well and you're done. Put the Sharpie on whatever spot you want to touch up, then rub it a bit with your finger to get it to blend in. I have had great results with this method several times.

7. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Member

Old thread, but people are still looking, so....

What I do is get a piece of Tolex (MOJOTONE.COM sells Tolex to match your amp). Lay the new Tolex over the damaged area. Place a quarter on top of it and, using a razor knife, cut out a circle in the new and old Tolex. Don't cut too deep or the wood won't allow you to make a circle.

You should now have a piece of new Tolex cut to the same size as the hole cut in the old Tolex. I use 3M Super 77 Multipurpose Spray Adhesive and spray the back of the new Tolex and press it in to the hole of the old Tolex.

Use a wood rolling pin or something similar and roll over the repair to smooth it down and push the edges of the new Tolex down.

8. Trout

Trout Member

I did the circle cut/repair in the past with great results.

I use a sharpened piece of brass tubing as a punch/die. Put it over the flaw, a light tap and twist to cut the bad material. A thick pin or Xacto knife works well to to clean out the remnants.

Then I used the same punch/die to cut a plug from replacement material.

Glue types kind of depend on location, in area's not seen easily I used gel type Cyanoacrylate.
    White glue works extremely well and is very easy to clean up.
    Whatever works best for you though.

9. elmoscafeo

elmoscafeo Member

Dang! Wish I would of that of that! The quarter works, but it can be tricky holding the quarter in place while trying to cut Tolex.