• TGP is giving away a Strat, Tele, and Jazzmaster. Click Here for full details.
    Click Here to upgrade your account and enter today!

Repaired headstock crack, years later - what do you think of this?

Grenville

I bought a lovely 1980 Tokai Reborn Old LP-type six and a half years ago, that has been my main instrument ever since.

I knew when I bought it that it had had a recent headstock repair. This has never bothered me, and the guitar's tuning has been very stable.

Recently, however, I have noticed fine cracks around parts of where the repair took place, particularly thumbnail shapes at the neck-side, not so much towards the headstock side.

All else seems stable.

Should I be worried? Take it to where the work was initially done?

Interested in informed thoughts on this.

poolshark

Silver Supporting Member
Interesting spline setup. If the overspray finish is lacquer - which it likely is - it's likely just shrinking and sinking. The spline is likely also shrinking or expanding at a rate different from the neck wood. Shouldn't be a functional problem.

morglan

I'm no expert, but those look like cracks in the clear finish to me.

I have an 85 Love Rocks and I have some around that area too.

jmtt

I agree with poolshark. The neck and the spline are shrinking/expanding slowly over time at different rates, and that's causing one end of the spline to protrude.

That movement does imply that at least the top of the glue joint is not perfect, but the joint overall looks good in your pics, so I don't expect that a major joint failure is imminent.

If the appearance or the feel bugs you, and you have a good refinisher, you can have them sand it down, wick in a little super glue, then refinish. Hopefully, the new refinisher would be able to hide the grain of the spline a little better. Overall, though, that looks like a nice repair.

Grenville

Thanks guys, I'm gonna leave things as they are, then.

To be honest, I didn't even notice the splines until recently. The finish is actually fairly dark in that area, and the slight lacquer cracks and camera flash have made things a bit more obvious.

Trending Topics