Repairing damage to a CLR speaker cabinet?

Discussion in 'Digital & Modeling Gear' started by Leonc, Dec 6, 2018.

1. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

I got back from an outdoor gig on Monday night and saw that an edge on the front of my CLR got damaged somehow. A good sized chunk of the covering (is it enamel? epoxy? what is it?) was chipped off.

[​IMG]
    I'd be interested in hearing from Atomic or someone who's had this kind of damage repaired correctly as to how to do it. I know I can use a sharpie to cover the spot in black...but I'd like to actually repair it, not try to hide it.

BTW, posted this on the Atomic forum...no response so far.

2. burningyen

burningyen Vendor

3. JoeB63

JoeB63 Supporting Member

I remember way back when, when we had vinyl-covered furniture and car seats. There were these liquid vinyl repair kits you could buy -- and they were advertised on TV commercials. My Dad and I used to repair our stuff with that. At one point in the process we'd use an iron. I'd bet that would work to closely match that covering.

(I had a CLR for a few days. That covering sure seemed fragile).

4. johnkoz

johnkoz Supporting Member

This will sound crazy but --
    I have used a hot knife (or soldering gun would work), to melt black wire ties and patch black tolex.
    you can melt the wire tie and then dab it on the area and it will stick and cover and you can also match the texture...

Fairly unnoticeable on black tolex. Don't know what you have there.

Darkness likes this.
  5. vtgearhead

vtgearhead Member

I have a paint chip knocked off mine in exactly the same place. The paint does not seem very robust and one of these days I'm going to put corners on mine to gain some protection.

Leonc likes this.
  6. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

It's a water-based finish. AFAIK, the material is not readily available in the US.

As one who has been involved in the manufacture of loudspeakers for, umm, quite a few years, and who knows a little bit about the CLR, I may be able to help.

You need to first sand the edges of the damaged area so that the good paint tapers down to the exposed wood.
    Next, apply wood filler to the damaged spot, allow it to completely dry, and sand the area to create a continuous surface. Use a sanding block and 100 or 120 grit sandpaper. This stage may require multiple repetitions, but don't stop until you've built up the spot to just shy of level with the surrounding area.
    Then, apply paint. I recommend Dura-Tex, which is available here: https://www.parts-express.com/brand/acry-tech-coatings/608. You can apply it with a foam brush and tweak the texture to match the rest of the enclosure. You can sand the dried paint if needed and re-apply a texture coat.

Intimo, LordByron, VCuomo and 7 others like this.
  7. Leonc

Leonc Wild Gear Hearder Gold Supporting Member

Awesome info Jay Mitchell, thanks so much!

8. NelsonP

NelsonP Member

9. KenG

KenG Member

You could also use an epoxy.

10. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

That's too general to be of much value. An epoxy-based filler could be used, but those products are generally very difficult to sand. The factory finish is water-based. The most durable repair will involve a water-based filler and a water-based finish. One way to make a very strong water-based filler is to mix sawdust with white glue (I recommend Franklin Tite-Bond). The higher the sawdust content, the higher the build of the filler. The higher the glue content, the stronger the filler, at the expense of requiring more passes to achieve the required build.

yeky83, LordByron and Elantric like this.
  11. Darkness

Darkness Member

That’s good crazy. Just sayin.

johnkoz likes this.
  12. Ferg Deluxe

Ferg Deluxe Gold Supporting Member

The finish on the CLR is far too easily scraped off. It’s my only complaint about the unit, and a pretty minor one at that. I’ve just learned to be super careful with it, not that I’m particularly hard on my gear.

13. mattball826

mattball826 Member

ahh, so one of those production materials that gets the Cali warning label

14. Jay Mitchell

Jay Mitchell Member

No. A production material that is readily available to a manufacturer in the province of China where the speakers are made, but - again, as far as I know - not sold to retail customers in the US.

15. Frank Ritchotte

Frank Ritchotte Silver Supporting Member

Almost everything gets the CA sticker...even buildings.

Aquinas and mattball826 like this.
  16. hippietim

hippietim Silver Supporting Member

I've fixed chunks of guitars with Elmers and sawdust so I can confirm Jay's method with the Titebond.

17. mattball826

mattball826 Member

I was wondering what did not get that sticker.. maybe bottled water, wine.

18. shizzaq

shizzaq Supporting Member