Repairing handle on Gibson guitar case

sideman

Can anyone advise me on how to repair a handle on a Gibson guitar case? The plastic, one-piece handle on the factory case for my '81 dot 335 broke off. The handle broke - the metal case attachment pieces look fine.

The handle looks like this one, but the plastic broke where it attaches to the metal - do I need to remove the metal pieces? Thanks.
th

mc5nrg

Silver Supporting Member
Shoe repair places often do leather, handbags, luggage....ask around.
A new handle and popping out and replacing the rivets that go thru the two ends of the plastic handle should do it.

FlyingVBlues

Platinum Supporting Member
I’ve had broken handles replaced on several vintage guitar cases by a small local shop that does shoe and luggage repairs. If you search on Yelp or Google you should be able to find a local luggage repair shop to fix your case. I’ve also had a broken case lock replaced by the same place. All of the repairs were really well done and you couldn't tell that the cases had been repaired. If you want a period correct replacement handle you can usually find them on eBay or Reverb.

Jahn

Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver
Silver Supporting Member
Yep. In NYC plenty of luggage repair places will do cases.

wox

Silver Supporting Member
I replaced the handle on a brown & pink Gibson case by removing the riveted metal bases (peeled back a little of the fuzzy lining to get to them) and bolting a new handle in, using standard screw-on bolts, instead of rivets.

I cut them as flush to the bolt as possible on the inside, then re-glued the lining, which is thick enough that you'd never know the bolts were on the inside.

highrise

"Plastic broke"

There is no "repair", there is only replacement.

This is on a Gibson case...if the handle fails while you're carrying the guitar you risk breaking the guitars neck.

I replaced one of mine with some static rope and ny-ties.

Will never fail now.

Trebor Renkluaf

I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse?
Shoe repair places often do leather, handbags, luggage....ask around.
A new handle and popping out and replacing the rivets that go thru the two ends of the plastic handle should do it.
This. Look for a Luggage repair shop near you, if not a shoe repair shop. They'll do it right and it won't cost an arm and a leg.

Sampler

Gold Supporting Member
I replaced the handle on the California Girl case that houses my '59 Gibson Country Western, and it was much easier than I thought. You need not remove the brackets that are riveted to the case. Just get a replacement handle similar to the original (lots of them on eBay) and the replacement pins that go through the handle. Cut the old pins off with wire cutters...they are brass and come off easily. Put the new pin in and you need to slightly splay out the walls of the hollow pin end. I did this by using a ball pien hammer while firmly holding the head end of the pin. You just need to enlarge the end enough so it can't go back through the hole, repeat for other pin. Handle replaced.

IMG_0733_zps0dtkabsy.jpg

Last edited:

icr

Can anyone advise me on how to repair a handle on a Gibson guitar case? The plastic, one-piece handle on the factory case for my '81 dot 335 broke off. The handle broke - the metal case attachment pieces look fine.

The handle looks like this one, but the plastic broke where it attaches to the metal - do I need to remove the metal pieces? Thanks.
th
What is the question. Just take the old handle off and put that one on.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom