Replace '57 Classic Plus with BB2 or BB3?

jamison162

Just sticking with the topic of Gibson pickups (I've tried and have a nice collection of others)....

I picked up a '57 Classic Plus bridge and find it too warm and smooth (uncovered, 536k vol pot). The regular '57 Classics I have on hand measure around 7.76k so I thought the Plus would be "a little hotter", maybe 8k-8.5k tops. This Classic Plus measures 8.9k, I was very surprised. I hear some good qualities to these pickups but overall I think the Classic Plus is too hot, warm, not enough bite. Esp. being nearly 9k with even wound coils. I think these are potted, I'm seeing some wax when adjusting the pole pieces.

That being said, I'm going to exchange the Plus for a BB, which I've never tried. Would you recommend the BB2 or BB3 (talking bridge position only at the moment). Anyone got some sample dc measurements for comparison sake?? Just curious how the BB2 and BB3 compare to each other and the Classic Plus in output as Gibson doesn't list any of these specs.

RockStarNick

Gold Supporting Member
Hey Jamison,

They don't list specs because they're ALL over the map.

I have a 57 Classic Plus, that barely measures 8.2.

I've had 57 Classic regulars that measure 8.1.

I have 57's and all the BB's
the BB#1 is usually the weakest, and typically the #3 the hottest but since gibson wanted these to be as true to vintage as possible they are all different just like the originals. That being said i love the BB#2 in the neck and in the bridge you can go wrong if you want it slightly hotter get the #3 but since you have tried the 57+ i recommend going for the #2
I have a #2 i would trade you for a 57?

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
I wouldn't recommend any of them. BBs don't sound good to me at all.

I wouldn't recommend any of them. BBs don't sound good to me at all.
Really? I honestly dont know why? unless you dont go for the old PAF mojo?I think they capture that "character" for a lot less $$$ than a old original:beer I tried every duncan PAF,every dimarzio PAF and the gibson stuff just has it for me...but then again i am using them in a charvel super strat and not a LP:messedup:crazy:rockin

GCDEF

Silver Supporting Member
Really? I honestly dont know why? unless you dont go for the old PAF mojo?I think they capture that "character" for a lot less $$$ than a old original:beer I tried every duncan PAF,every dimarzio PAF and the gibson stuff just has it for me...but then again i am using them in a charvel super strat and not a LP:messedup:crazy:rockin
The ones I've had, 1 and 2 in an R7, and Pros in a Les Paul Standard sounded harsh to me. I like the smooth sound of the 57s. I know the OP doesn't, but there was an unpleasant raspiness in the the BBs I just didn't care for.

jamison162

The ones I've had, 1 and 2 in an R7, and Pros in a Les Paul Standard sounded harsh to me. I like the smooth sound of the 57s. I know the OP doesn't, but there was an unpleasant raspiness in the the BBs I just didn't care for.
Cool, sounds just like what I'm looking for.

speedemon

The BB3 distorts like the 57+, if you are going for hard rock metal sounds, that's the one. It's got the rasp like the other poster mentioned. If you want some more grit and less gain, the BB2 is prob for you. The A5 has a modern flavor to it, a little less nasal than the 80s pkups. Help?

jamison162

The BB3 distorts like the 57+, if you are going for hard rock metal sounds, that's the one. It's got the rasp like the other poster mentioned. If you want some more grit and less gain, the BB2 is prob for you. The A5 has a modern flavor to it, a little less nasal than the 80s pkups. Help?
None of the pickups we're discussing here have A5 mags.

I checked with one vendor and asked him to measure a BB3 for me, was 8.3k?? I wonder what at the Gibson factory makes a pickup a BB1, 2, or 3. You would think they would just wind em up and whatever fell in one of three ranges would determine what the pickup gets labeled.

For instance:
7.4k - 7.8k = BB1
7.9k - 8.4k = BB2
8.5k - 9.0k = BB3

Or something like that, what I'm sayin' is there seems to be a lot of overlap.

Cary Chilton

Just sticking with the topic of Gibson pickups (I've tried and have a nice collection of others)....

I picked up a '57 Classic Plus bridge and find it too warm and smooth (uncovered, 536k vol pot). The regular '57 Classics I have on hand measure around 7.76k so I thought the Plus would be "a little hotter", maybe 8k-8.5k tops. This Classic Plus measures 8.9k, I was very surprised. I hear some good qualities to these pickups but overall I think the Classic Plus is too hot, warm, not enough bite. Esp. being nearly 9k with even wound coils. I think these are potted, I'm seeing some wax when adjusting the pole pieces.

That being said, I'm going to exchange the Plus for a BB, which I've never tried. Would you recommend the BB2 or BB3 (talking bridge position only at the moment). Anyone got some sample dc measurements for comparison sake?? Just curious how the BB2 and BB3 compare to each other and the Classic Plus in output as Gibson doesn't list any of these specs.
Exactly, it is too smooth and compressed. Try a Darkburst by WCR.

jamison162

I've had a couple of vendors measure the BB3 and they've come in at 8.3k and 8.4k, I've read another on the LPF that was 8.3k. Hmmm, nowhere near as hot as I thought they would be really.

The best part of the '57s! Hope you like the BBs!

Everything that GCDEF has said in this thread is right on the money. I have both and I like the 57 much more. BB's have a harshness that I just don't dig. Thinking about swapping out the BB in my Trad Pro for a 57 plus. My Trad plus sounds so much sweeter.

smcgov

Everything that GCDEF has said in this thread is right on the money. I have both and I like the 57 much more. BB's have a harshness that I just don't dig. Thinking about swapping out the BB in my Trad Pro for a 57 plus. My Trad plus sounds so much sweeter.
just got my brand new Trad Plus yesterday and couldn't be happier with the 57 plus...the notes just "bloom"....I thought they compared very favorably to the Shaws in my 84 Studio.....very much delivered what a good LP should sound like (in my head at least)

jamison162

I don't care for the balanced coils of the '57. I think most of the other pickups I have/had and really liked are unbalanced, Darkburst, Seth Lover, Antiquities, Marshallheads, Legends, Sheptones, etc. I just have never checked out the Gibson '57 or BB's.

AD3

I have an alternative idea for you. You want more bite but your looking for close to the same output. The 57 classics and Classic plus use a Alnico magnet number 2. If your looking for more bite why don't you try a stronger magnet like an Alnico 5. You could even try an Alnico 8 which is between a Alnico 5 and a Ceramic magnet. Its just a stronger magnet that's it. It should give that bridge pickup a brand new growl.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WloCr8VOGXU

Trending Topics