Replace a KOT for a different OD pedal ( or pedals )

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by onestop, Nov 12, 2007.

1. onestop

onestop Silver Supporting Member

Had a session last night and was LOVING the tones coming out of my Cage Corsa and current setup:

LP Gold Top > KOTv4 > Eternity > Klon > Cage

....but not sure that I was totally digging the KOT??? A little thin at times (CORRECTION: not necessarly thin but light on the gain side with the factory settings). Don't get me wrong. EXTREMELY articulate OD with wonderful tones but felt as though certain tones, were getting a little too thin for my taste.

Had a BJF EGDM and a HB a few years back and wondering if I should go down that route again??

Or maybe something like a Tim, or Timmy or Small Fry and something else (for the cost of the KOT) would do the trick?

Thoughts?

2. newstrat60

newstrat60 Member

I see you have already an Eternity, but there's so many versions out there that maybe you'll be interested in trading your KotV4 against my '06 burst Eternity (not what i call "thin" ;))...

3. onestop

Thanks for the offer and I've thought about a 2nd E but I do have a burst and not sure that identical pedals will cover my needs. Don't get me wrong because the E's are AWESOME pedals and sure, while I could have 2 with different settings, I'm thinking I need some different charateristics from another pedal.

But keep the thoughts coming!

4. jhumber

jhumber Member

Maybe one of the Xotic range? Not what I'd call thin-sounding by a long shot.

That said, it's hard to give advice to a guy who already has a KOTv4, Klon and Eternity on his board ;-)

Keep us posted on what you end up with...

5. Guinness Lad

Guinness Lad Silver Supporting Member

KOT thin, you gotta be kidding. Try a Zendrive or something more midrangy then, I really never felt the KOT was then sounding. Maybe not gainy enough but never then, I think it could possibly be the finest low gain overdrive made.

6. onestop

I apoligze for the wrong terminology but I think you nailed it - it may not be gainy enough for me. And again, as I said in my inital post, IT'S AN AWESOME PEDAL! I could mess with the internal switches and try running the Distortion setting on the red side and the OD on the yellow instead of the boost. I'm currently running the factory settings.

7. pullagnm

pullagnm Member

Try stacking it with the E. When I need more gain and thickness I stack my Zendrive in front of the OD channel on the KOT (this combo is great). What ever you do don't get rid of the KOT it is an amazing pedal very dynamic.