Replace nut or just shim it?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by eyeball987, Apr 17, 2008.

1. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

The nut on my Epi Del Rey is cut too low so I bought an All Parts graphite nut last nut and was going to try to replace it with my very limited knowledge. The nut that I bought is not as tall as the nut in the guitar now so it won't fix my problem.

Can I place some type of shim under the nut to raise it a little bit? Should I do something else to fix this? What kind of glue should I use to keep the nut, nut/shim in place?

2. doublee

doublee Member

Get the correct nut, correctly cut for height. I dont like shims they can dull the tone unless done just right. I dont think any glue is needed as the string pressure will hold it in place.

3. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Doublee's right. If you like the guitar and play it a lot, get a properly cut nut on it. If it's just an experiment, shim it until you have the prob worked out, and then eventually replace it.

I use thin mahogany veneer for nut shims.

Thanks, Dana O.

4. AndrewSimon

AndrewSimon Member

Shims are OK when done properly but a well done nut is very important.
    Even thought I'm handy, I always have my tech do the nuts.

:rolleyes:

5. Dana Olsen

Dana Olsen Gold Supporting Member

Also true - to me, making a nut is like rebuilding a carbuerator; even if you're mechanically inclined, they just come out better when someone who does several per week makes it than it does when I do it, like once every two years.

Thanks, Dana O.

6. eyeball987

eyeball987 Member

The All Parts nut that I bought isn't as tall as the one that is on there now which is why I ask. The guitar is not worth a lot of money but I like how it plays and I could use the experience fixing things like this so I may give it a shot anyway. If I screw it up then I can always have it done "right".

7. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

a hardwood shim under there is not going to hurt the tone, considering that the nut is resting on mahogany anyway. also, a little glue is necessary to keep things from sliding around. i like superglue, because it dries fast and brittle, making the nut easy to knock back out again if need be.

8. Chiba

Chiba Gold Supporting Member

A couple of small dabs of glue ensure the nut stays in place when you restring your guitar AND prevents it from "wandering" under pressure.

--chiba