replace output jack on Vigeir Expert Retro ’54?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by kerrmedia, Mar 9, 2015.

1. kerrmedia

kerrmedia Member

If anyone has done this I'd appreciate some advice. I keep stepping on my cable and I guess I loosened or damaged the jack and may need to replace it.

This guitar has the jack sunk into a hole, so I guess to get to it I'm going to have to remove the whole pick guard.

I was told it uses a "long barrel" jack, never did this before but might need the guitar ready to play to soon to leave it at a repair shop.

Also recommendations for maybe a good jack, one that will last.

2. hunter

hunter Supporting Member

Haven't replaced one on a Vigeir but I have replaced several on G&Ls. G&L just puts a piece of string on the jack threads and hammers em in. It takes some magic to coax one back out. Or an EZ out after the wires are unsoldered or a pair of nippers if you are brave or crazy. The barrel jacks can't be repaired so what ever damage you do to the jack getting it out doesn't matter.

You will need to verify how Vigier fixes the jack in place. Beyond that you will need a replacement. Here is where it may get more interesting. I have used Switchcraft jacks as replacements for years but they keep going bad. Recently, I got tired of replacing them. I contacted the local luthier and asked him to either put in an electrosocket, or a standard jack with a cover plate or something. He said he uses a barrel on his guitars and suggested dumping the Switchcraft and using a Mighty Mite. Said that brand put an end to his jack problems on his builds. He talked himself right out of some repair work.

So I just tried a Mighty Mite. Stereo only but just wire the two sleeve connectors together. I haven't had it in long enough to really be sure but I will say the fit on the cord jack is much better. I have always assumed Switchcraft would be the best option but I am not sure now. I just ordered a couple more since I have another ASAT with a dodgey jack.

hunter

3. kerrmedia

kerrmedia Member

Thanks, I'll check out the Mighty Mite.