Replace the Flint...can you do it?

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member
Assume that a used Flint and favorite switch goes for approximately $250. You want more convincing reverbs and thicker/chewier/warmer tremolo. Used pieces/prices are fine.

Can it be done?

skiltrip

Silver Supporting Member
Keeley Hydra comes to mind right away. It's exactly $250.

A thicker chewier warmer tremolo can be had from many cheap analog tremolos though. My Danelectro Cool Cat Trem is way warmer and chewier than my Flint tremolo. It was $40. That leaves you with $200 for any number of multi-reverb pedals out there, and there are a ton of them.

Honestly though, the Hydra packs a LOT in for the price. I'd definitely be interested to try one over the Flint if I was in fact still using the Flint.

Flatscan

Silver Supporting Member
My take:

Get a Flint if you're going to run it in a loop. It sounds amazing there. If you're not, think about other pedals.

With a Flint, you're paying $125/pedal for an excellent reverb pedal (two awesome verbs plus an only ok Spring verb), an excellent trem pedal (3 great flavors), and a super easy to navigate user interface.

There are great verbs and trems but you often don't get so many flavors of each, the control set is often not as good, and you're typically paying more than $125/pedal used.

If I didn't do the Flint, I would first look at the Source Audio.

SealCove

Silver Supporting Member
In the past week I purchased and sold a Hydra that I got hoping to compliment the Flint (was not looking to replace it). Hydra trem was great for its own reasons, though in my rig it was not warmer. For me the reverb side was much too bright and I knew it was a no go for me in 30 minutes. So if you want brighter than the Flint, the Hydra could do really well, but it was not warmer for me in any way.

TravisE

Silver Supporting Member

GA20T

Replaced mine a long time ago with a Vertigo & iStomp for its spring (nice vibrato and tremolo as well). Eventually replaced the iStomp with a 6g15, but that breaks the budget here.

I agree re using the Flint in a loop. For me at least it thickened it up and masked some of its... disconnectedness(?) re feel.

Flint was always the ultimate 'on paper' pedal/feature set for me but I didn't keep it around long.

nujnujnuj

My Flint was replaced by EQD DisMas, and Diamond Trem (around 2016 I guess). Eventually replaced by Empress EchoSystem, and CB Gravitas because I need presets. My verb/trem journey took me little more money, but I liked it.

If you need basic sounds, then Flint is a decent choice. But I even recommend Mr Black Deluxe Deluxe Plus for cheaper alternative, but sounds as good as Flint's spring and tube setting.

I would advice you to know your needs, and don't be limited by your price range.

aram

I like my flint, but I think it's really shittily made for the money. Granted, I don't have a beautiful board but I've toured for years with pedals that have taken a beating and it was really annoying to have the speed knob break off and see that it was a plastic shaft.

This is another combo that I've gone back to, a subdecay spring theory and a tortenmann tremelo. The Tortenmann is sick. Super rich and with some germanium drive. Yeah the Flint can do more, but this does what it does really beautifully and organically. I haven't been missing the Flint since going back to it, and I know that these pedals aren't going to get hurt.

nastynate

Used Fender Tre-Verb goes for about $180 and all the sound clips sound great. Haven’t gotten a chance to play one, unfortunately.

That being said, I’m in no rush to replace my Flint.

Trending Topics

Top Bottom