Replace tubes or get eq pedal?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by docgorpon, Mar 30, 2015.

1. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I've mentioned this problem before: I have a fairly new Peavey Classic 30. I upgraded the speaker and the preamp tubes. It works ok, but I can't quite get out of it exactly what I'm looking for. I have experimented with tone controls for weeks. I have the mids up a little past half way. It perpetually sounds a bit muddy and doesn't cut in the mix. When I turn the treble up to where I feel it 'should' be, I get a terrible, brittle/fuzzy sound from the drive (if I use a pedal or if I use the amps drive... same difference). So I end up running the treble about mid way, and I have the mud issue.

At one point, a power tube blew. I replaced it with a new one sent to me by Peavey. But I am sure my power tubes are mismatched now. I didn't own the amp long enough to know if that makes a dramatic difference or not. Like, I don't remember if the amp sound great before the tube incident because I had just gotten it.

I have exactly $50 to spend on the amp right now. I can either get a new quad of power tubes (ticks me off since the set in there is perfectly new, but not matched). Or I can get an EQ pedal (prob GE7, or the like) to run in the loop. I've never used an EQ pedal like this (to try and dial in an amp's main tone). I've only ever used them to boost solos or something.

So which should I do first?

2. boyce89976

boyce89976 Supporting Member

Have you tried cutting the bass instead of adding treble? Generally, with overdrive, you want to cut the bass a little to prevent muddiness. I doubt Peavy matched the tubes when it was new, so I wouldn't worry about the tubes, unless they are just crappy tubes.

3. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I do tend to run the bass pretty high.

4. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Have you actually checked the tubes matching or are you just guessing?

Unless their way out probably not your problem.

This to me always boils down to....
    1. Speaker. ???? 99% of time this is the secret unless you just totally bought the wrong amp for your needs.
    2. Preamp tubes. ????

Friend has C30 running a Reverend 40w speaker and a RCA in v1, absolutely killer little blues, funk, clean and classic rock amp.

5. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

I'm just guessing on the tubes not matching. I guess there's a possibility the spare one matched. I did replace the speaker with a WGS Reaper. The preamp tubes have been fairly upgraded. I guess I could keep swapping them around.

6. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

Everything you complain about would point you to this.
    [​IMG]

You'll get bottom you desire without having to crank the bass to try force it out of a speaker that basically has a very limited bottom end thereby turning it to mud, bass doesn't flub or get mushy, ever. Always clear and defined. You'll probably dump bass knob back 3-4 notches. Treble, high end fizz will wane considerably, you'll have probably 4-5 notches more to use on treble, easily.

It also handles a little more power, which you actually need and it's louder as well. Don't try to force a little 1x12 combo to sound like a 4x12 without the right speaker. That's a sure way to induce it to produce a muddy mess.

7. docgorpon

docgorpon Member

8. DaveKS

DaveKS Member

What what can I say, I don't do loans. :dunno

Until you get speaker right a EQ or a another set of preamp tubes ain't gonna help you much. Keep saving your money would be my advice.

9. RussB

RussB low rent hobbyist Silver Supporting Member

Turn the bass down!

10. ccoker

ccoker Supporting Member

what guitar and pickups? have you tried a different one?

11. Blue Strat

Blue Strat Member

Sterling, VA (not far from Washington DC)
    Tubes would probably be least effective. Everything above might help starting with lowering the bass.

12. straightblues

straightblues Member

Listen to Blue Strat, he sells high end tubes for a living.

Now, at this point, if I were you I would buy the equalizer. It will allow you to get the tone you are happy with until you can find your new amp. You shouldn't have to work that hard for tone. If you get the right amp, the tone will just be there. Put that amps on the market and get one that works for you.

When I first started doing this, about 25 years ago, I would pound amps into submission like you are trying to do. Add mods, change speakes, tubes, etc. I could make a Fender sound like a Marshall, I could boost the distortion, make it brighter, add more punch. I got really good at it and could still do it today, but I don't. I now take amps I am perfectly happy with and use my knowledge to do really minor tweaks.