Replaced the 490/498 pups in my LP with Dimarzio PAF Classics

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by freaksho, Jun 27, 2008.

1. freaksho

freaksho Member

these are a set of the old discontinued PAF Classics i had laying around.

i definitely like the lower output & extra clarity, especially the bridge pup. but i'm not quite 100% happy yet. two things i'd still like improved:

1) a little more output on the bridge pup (but not as much as the 498)
    2) a little more brightness on the neck pup; more chimey (Pagey?)

tones desired: vintage rock, hard rock, indie. with clean tones needed often.

suggestions? (say, approx $200 for the set)

Last edited: Jun 28, 2008
  2. larimar

larimar Member

Might be worth a shot wiring the neck pup in parallel. That will give you more highs. You do lose some power but not a whole lot.

3. freaksho

freaksho Member

interesting. didn't think of that. i'll keep that in mind, thanks.

4. Austinrocks

Austinrocks Member

Check out the lollar imperials, they are on the Larrivee RS4 guitar, I liked them, the problem you get with pups is its hard to hear them with out installing them, and going cheap really aint a good idea. I have Rio Grande Texas BBQ set in both LPs, and they are split coil so I get single coil and humbucker, needs to have four conductor humbuckers to get the split coils, these pups are great, but they aint cheap either.

http://www.riograndepickups.com/sca...roductName=For+Humbuckings&SubCatName=SINGLES

5. freaksho

freaksho Member

bump for more ideas & price limit increased.

6. freaksho

freaksho Member

those both looks really great. do you think the std Lollar Imperials are a bit hotter than my Dimarzio's?

7. mockoman

mockoman Member

Wolftone Marshallheads.

8. freaksho

freaksho Member

ok, bringing this back to life.

i was just looking at Dimarzio's new 36th Anniv PAFs: bridge & the hotter neck set (DP103 & DP223). not being able to listen first i don't want to go TOO crazy with price. at $150 for the set these might be a decent bet to get where i want to be. anyone disagree / tried these yet?

also, MF has some models listed with "N" at the end (DP103N, DP223N). anyone know what this means?

9. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

The DiMarzio Virtual PAF's are phenomenal, I'll put them up against the latest 'flavor of the week pickup identical to old Gibson PAF's' any day. I use the Virtual Hot PAF in the bridge, and the Virtual PAF Bridge in the neck for exactly what you describe...hotter output and more highs from the neck. I also have them wired for series/parallel so I can do both with a switch which is nice.

Now those were replaced by the 36th. Ann. PAF's which I have not heard so I can't comment. But I can vouch for the VPAF's and you can still get them from most places...especially Ebay for probably $50 each.

And I believe the N means 'neck' position.

10. freaksho

freaksho Member

that's a strong recommendation so i'm gonna take it - well, almost. looks like the new 36th Anniv PAFs are pretty similar to the VPAFs, only a bit higher output, which might be better for me. so i just placed an order. :)

thanks to all.

(and btw, the "N" just seems to be a designation that retailers use meaning "new", to distinguish between these and the older DP103)

11. Darth Tater

Darth Tater Supporting Member

I think you made a wise choice, sometimes I just shake my head when I see people buying these $200 PAF's...it seems that every single company has a pickup that sounds 'identical to the original PAF'. Of course I've never spent $400+ on a set of pickups so maybe I'm the sucker here...who knows!

And thanks for the clarification on the N.

12. freaksho

freaksho Member

by the way, these are for a 2001 LP Std which i think has 300K pots, from what i've read. anyone have any thoughts about changing to 500K pots?

13. HoboMan

HoboMan Silver Supporting Member

I have Gibson T-Tops in my 61 SG Les Paul and they sound great. These are later T-Tops. Probably from the 70s or 80s.
    They get raunchy & clean up real nice.

14. twangbanger

twangbanger Supporting Member

500Ks should brighten it up some. I would do that next before trying other PUs

15. Troubleman

Troubleman Silver Supporting Member

How do DiMarzio Virtual PAFs sound when used with LOTS of gain (my band plays a wide variety of music; gotta cover duane allman to zakk wylde tones)? The reason I ask - I had a set of DiMarzio Virtual Vintage single coil pups in a Strat. They had chime, cluck & quack, and great jangle when played clean. When really pushed with gain/distortion, they had this harsh upper-midrange thing that was terrible when you hit a note in that frequency range - think "firing a handgun in a shower"-type harsh...

jb

Last edited: Jul 5, 2008
  16. jlagrassa

jlagrassa Supporting Member

Its not much of a clip but I posted this in other threads!

Well I put together a real quick clip of the new 36th Anniversary PAFs neck DP103 & Bridge DP223, this clip is down and dirty mindless playing (I never know what to play when making clips.. ). This clip is all from the OD channel of my VHT amp but I did use my guitars volume knob just to show how well these pups clean up I used all pickup positions on the guitar starting with the Bridge - Neck - Middle and the same for the single note picking.
    Here is just a quick break down on what I used
    Recorded with a Zoom H2 Recorder(Love this little Recorder)
    Guitar is a Les Paul Classic
    Amplifier is a VHT Pittbull Super 30

http://www.backflashband.net/dimarzio.mp3

17. 1973Marshall

1973Marshall Member

The VPAFs are a TO DIE FOR type of tone. You have to like the high presence, but its a SWEET 3D high presence, NOT like the Duncan Pearly Gates which is harsh. (I own both).

The only warning, the VPAFs can cause a touch of fizz in the wrong rig, but if you learn to EQ and use it right, they are beyond comparison in what they can give you and how they feel.

I spoke to Steve at Dimarzio and he was VERY confident that the 36th Anniv was everything the VPAF was and them some. Same vibe, but fuller, more vintage, and better matched. The VPAF Bridge was a tad bright, and the VHOT PAF kinda cured that. I hear this set really got it right, and Steve is pretty on the money, never steered me wrong.

18. freaksho

freaksho Member

wow, that's just killer! right on the money - i hope to have similar results. thanks!

19. freaksho

freaksho Member

cool. i do like brighter tones & more presence. i'm excited. i'll be playing it through a 6L6 Shiva (newer version).

20. freaksho

freaksho Member

will do. i'll put them in before i get the new pups just to see how they work with the 498/490's. thanks.