Replaced volume pot (twice) and it still cuts out? Solder Joints all look good...

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by SonexReducer, Mar 16, 2017.

1. SonexReducer

SonexReducer Member

So I purchased a brand new guitar and the volume knob for my bridge pup was cutting in and out and also would muffle the tone like the tone knob was on zero if I got it in certain spots (only sometimes). These things would happen in small "crackle spots" in the sweep of the pot if I stopped there. Sometimes it was really bad, sometimes not so bad.

So I replaced the pot. Twice. Solder joints all look good. But it's still happening. I'm going mad searching for answers and only come up with "replace the pot".

You guys are the pro's and I'd give anything to know how to fix this. Thanks.

2. David Collins

David Collins Member

This is a typical symptom of having overheated the pots when they were being installed. Could be any number of other things, but going by your description this would be my first suspect.

SkydogFan81 and SonexReducer like this.
  3. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

I agree with David. Are you accomplished at soldering or a beginner? The terminals on the pots are only riveted in place in many cases.

SonexReducer likes this.
  4. BillBee

BillBee Member

I had a similar issue and the joints that look good are not necessarily so. A dab with the Iron (within reason) was how I found the bad one.

SonexReducer likes this.
  5. robdean

robdean Member

Overheating the pot is a possibility but I'm struck that the new guitar had the same problem, which would lead me to double check that I'd correctly diagnosed the cause in the first place. It can sometimes be very misleading when touching one component triggers a problem that in fact does not originate in that component (for example, a switch might seem bad when in fact the force needed to throw the switch is parting a bad connection nearby).

Two possible tests (there will be others!):
    1: Disconnect the in and out from the bad pot and connect them directly to each other. See if having done that you can make the problem recur, despite the signal now bypassing the pot.
    2. Put a 'suspect' volume pot in place of the known good volume pot of the other pickup: if it works fine there, the problem ain't the pot!

SonexReducer likes this.
  6. PremiumPlus

PremiumPlus Member

Sonex, it would be helpful if you told us what exact guitar you've got, if it has a master tone pot and two volumes...etc.
    Details are good!

SonexReducer likes this.
  7. VaughnC

VaughnC Supporting Member

Also consider what you're plugging the guitar into. Pots can seem noisy if DC is leaking into them from the first device you're plugged into. Seems strange that a new guitar and a replacement pot are doing the exact same thing.

Tone_Terrific and SonexReducer like this.