Replacement 6V6's: What to buy?

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by wrxplayer, Oct 14, 2008.

1. wrxplayer

wrxplayer Supporting Member

Need a new pair of 6V6's for my amp. The amp itself is a small brand that has a Marshall-esq kind of sound. Mail order options (www.tubedepot.com) are JJs, EV, Tung-sol, all new stock. I'm basically a basement player and part time jam partners.

Recommendations please?

2. innocent_bystander

innocent_bystander Supporting Member

3. Nolatone Ampworks

Nolatone Ampworks Silver Supporting Member

I would have said JJ's myself, but in light of the nuttyness I've experienced with several of the tubes in last few builds I've done, I'm more inclined not to.

I'm going to try EH's next time around and hope I have better luck with them. Their 6V6's are a bit less $$ than JJ's at tubedepot as well.

4. pir8matt

pir8matt Member

5. jamme61

jamme61 Supporting Member

JJ's are fine and they're not expensive. eurotubes.com has good service and price IMHO

6. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

The new Tung Sol 6V6GT's are the best sounding to me. I've been using them in my Deluxe Reverb for about a year now and I like them better than the NOS stuff I own. They have more clean headroom,tighter bass and smoother highs and compare in tone to my RCA 7408's.

7. zzmoore

zzmoore Member

In a Fargen, Fender, and Magnatone we have modern day TungSols.

8. Steve Dallas

Steve Dallas Supporting Member

I like the TS RIs quite a bit if you like greasy tone. If you like the sound of 6L6s better, JJ is the way to go, but I find they suffer from mechanical noise in combos that can be quite annoying.

EH's 6V6 is a good sounding tube, but not remarkable in any way.

9. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

JJ's are pretty good sounding and rugged. I would personally steer clear of EH's and Sovtek's, but I'm really itching to tryout the new Tung-Sol RI's. Many people also like GT's offerings, most or all of which are rebrands.

10. slider313

Actually the EH's sound pretty good. I had a friends silverface Deluxe Reverb here and we tried JJ's,EH's, new Tung Sol's and a pair of Sylvania black plates in it;all biased at 22ma. The amp sounded best with the EH's and a Fender Eminence from a Blues Jr.!!

11. WesKuhnley

WesKuhnley Member

In my experience, EH tubes have trouble living up to the abuse of the road. I just serviced another Marshall last night that had EH EL34's that we only about 6 months old, and two of em were toast. That's just what I have encountered over the last few years building and servicing amps...what did you think of the new Tung Sols?

12. slider313

I can't speak for the EH EL34's. The new Tung Sol 6L6GC STR's and the 6V6GT's are excellent sounding tubes. I've had a pair of TS 6V6's running 22ma@423V in a Deluxe Reverb for quite some time with no problems. The tone is comparable to my NOS RCA 7408's; with the TS's being a bit tighter and cleaner.

13. champster

champster Member

I usually go with Tung-Sol or JJ mostly. The EHs do actually sound good but I've had some relibility issues with some.

14. 59Vampire

59Vampire Silver Supporting Member

You can get great NOS cheap from Terry Kilgore. i have a pair of GEs on the way 48 shipped!

15. gemmill

gemmill Member

i am using both at the moment and like them about equally. they both take a abuse (running at higher voltages in 6l6 amps) and sound great. i guess i'd lean toward the eh's if i had to buy again right now but i like the amp those are in better anyway.