• The Gear Page Apparel & Merch Shop is Open!

Based on member demand, The Gear Page is pleased to announce that our Apparel Merch Shop is now open. The shop’s link is in the blue Navigation bar (on the right side), “Shop,” with t-shirts, hats, neck buffs, and stickers to start. Here’s the direct link: www.thegearpageshop.com

You’ll find exclusive high-quality apparel and merchandise; all items are ethical, sustainably produced, and we will be continuously sourcing and adding new choices. 

We can ship internationally. All shipping is at cost.

Replacement Bass Speakers

CelestionNJ

I am wondering what size, wattage and impedance of bass speakers do all of you find yourself replacing and in what configuration whether it's a combo or cabinet?

Also what speakers do you usually purchase as a replacement?

Any help you guys could provide will be much appreciated.

Bryan316

I try to get exactly the same speaker that was there before. And here's why.

A quality speaker cabinet should be a balance between the speaker's characteristics and the cabinet's volume baffling and porting. To get the best performance from a speaker, there's a TON of science involved, to make a cabinet match that speaker.

There's no guarantee, that a different speaker in the same cabinet will yield good results. You can put a speaker in that requires deeper or larger-diameter porting, and as soon as you push it hard it shreds the cone. You can put in a speaker that gets choked and muffled and weakened by too small of a cab, and you complain that it doesn't sound deep enough.

If the cab didn't sound good from the start, look into INVESTING (see how I didn't say "buying"?) into a good quality cabinet that you like the sound of. Don't buy stuff you A - cannot test-drive yourself, or B - cannot return no-questions-asked if you just don't like the sound of it.

Lots of stores exist with crazy varieties in cab manufacturers. Lots of online-only companies making gear you cannot really find in a store. But no matter what, PLAY BEFORE YOU COMMIT. Even if you order it, get it delivered, and don't like it, you should be able to return it.

CelestionNJ

Thank you for the response Brian. I appreciate the info. Assuming that most of the speakers in these cabinets are made by either Celestion or Eminence which do you prefer?

Bryan316

I would greatly prefer you stay with the same brand. You can get good upgrades to your old speakers that will be "close enough" to their specifications and cabinet requirements, that it won't take a dump inside your cab.

The only true, safe, proven advice I can give you is...

LISTEN.

When you've got the new speakers in there, LISTEN. Your tone should be consistent at any volume. But once you push it too hard, and you hear it start to fart out, THAT'S IT. Back it off, that's all you'll get.

Now, perhaps your cab will choke those new speakers, and they start to fart out at lower volume than you'd expect. Perhaps they'll be too open, letting the speaker move too freely and exert itself too hard whereas it needs a cabinet with good back pressure to keep the cone from pushing right out.

But if you stick with the same brand and get a relatively close model speaker, you CAN upgrade and still get great performance.

And in all honesty, more bass rigs are built with Eminence drivers, and I know I've heard and played Eminences in all kinds of rigs. I cannot tell you who even uses Celestion for bass rigs, they're a company known for guitar speakers.

Gavindale

Same question....I have a 1966 Kustom tuck and roll ported cab that has 3 blown JBL 15" speakers. Recone with JBL parts is up around $275 each or more. I have never heard this cab as I bought knowing the speakers were fried. It was originaly a guitar cab but I am intrieged about turning into a bass cab. 6 feet high and all the room you need for any type of speaker. I think it might move some air with a new solid state amp head. and it has original castors.

Trending Topics