Replacement Bridge for Tele?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by Gasp100, Feb 7, 2008.

1. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Anyone know what type of bridge will fit on a Fender Japan '53 Reissue Tele? The Joe Barden Tele bridge was recommended (I guess that is what was on there in the past) but it's a tad pricey (halfway down page):
    http://gtrheaven.com/joe.htm
    I have NO idea about string spacing, etc... but from what I can tell it should have "vintage specs"??? I've seen the Wilkinson compensated 3 brass saddle ones on guitarfetish.com for about half this price. Will that work?
    http://store.guitarfetish.com/wicotebrbrsa.html
    Any help appreciated.

2. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I have a barden bridge and its worth every penny. Considering that the bridge is the second biggest piece of metal to impact your sound (after the pickups), spending $60 instead of $30 might be worth it. When I put on the barden bridge it made almost as much of a difference as a new set of pickups... tons of snap and twang... even sparkle. The MIM tele is a BEAST now with baden and ralin on there. and it intonates as good or better than the 6 saddle that was on there to begin with.

3. Gasp100

Gasp100 Member

Hmmm... I guess you're right, the Tele bridge really isn't the best place to cut corners. I'm in this deep, might as well keep going :roll
    Do you remember if yours came with mounting screws? No mention on the website.

Thanks!

4. doublee

doublee Member

Also look at Callaham.

5. re-animator

re-animator Senior Member

I got it second hand in the emporium.

6. gkoelling

gkoelling Member

I'm not aware of any Tele bridges that don't come with mounting screws.

7. Mike9

Mike9 Supporting Member

I have a Barden and it's a killer bridge. I also use Wilkinson compensated bridges - the plates are thicker than Fender's and the saddles are very nice. I have to cut the lip on the Wilky though they don't come pre shaved.