Replacement for '68 CDR - Mark V:25 or Imperial?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by PianistPretender, Mar 26, 2020.

1. PianistPretender

PianistPretender Member

Hi all,

I currently have a '68 custom deluxe reverb, which is nice, but past 3 on either channel, it has very audible noise / hum - not to mention when I turn on the reverb. I don't want to mess around with the innards of the amp in terms of swapping tubes or anything. I only use this as a practice and recording amp in my house (currently connected to an OX but I'm going to sell that due to the attenuation not being very clean).

Was contemplating either the Mark V:25 1x10 combo or the Tone King Imperial MK2. The Mesa seems very versatile and has a master control along with going down to 10W, along with an FX loop. The Imperial MK2 has an attenuator built in. I don't do a lot of high gain playing and do like those Fender cleans with my Strat / MM Valentine. Should also mention I have a Kemper Stage for maximum recording versatility, but I like the amp when I don't have my computer on / for that sound in the room.

Which would you all suggest? Can't really play either right now...

Thanks!

Last edited: Mar 26, 2020
  2. Madison

Madison Member

Low volume no hiss Fender cleans, I'd be looking at the Deluxe Reverb Tonemaster.

PianistPretender likes this.
  3. PianistPretender

PianistPretender Member

Interesting - never heard of this one before. Thanks! Though I feel getting a digital modeling amp seems pretty similar to my Kemper (I might as well just get a clean power amp and Kemper Kabinet then). Same feelings for a Katana I suppose.

4. Madison

Madison Member

That's true. As for Mesa I've had the Mark 35 combo and Mark 90 head. Truly great amps they are, but even the 25 might be a bit overkill for low volume in house playing. Otherwise would certainly be a great score.

5. Pelagic

Pelagic Supporting Member

I've not owned the 68, but I believe the hum relates to a reduction in negative feedback loop compared to the DRRI. If you want Fender cleans, I'd recommend trying the DRRI. Mine was dead quiet and the swap would be no-out-of-pocket in the used market.

6. PianistPretender

PianistPretender Member

Interesting - thanks! I guess I would still want an attenuator in this case (maybe swap the OX for the Ironman II or Boss TAE).