Replacement for BB Preamp

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by gtrfinder, Apr 30, 2008.

1. gtrfinder

gtrfinder Supporting Member

What has replaced the Xotic BB Preamp on your board? I played one borrowed from a friend and really liked it. Is there anything a bit more open with a similar amount of gain?

2. DejavuDave

DejavuDave Member

Maxon SD9 or VOP9. Never looked back at the BB since.

3. Jack

Jack Member

I think the Fuchs Plush Drive can replace the bb with more mids and more "realistic" sound. It didn't happen like that for me, but I found them sharing that similar "smooveness".

4. mgarrison99

mgarrison99 Silver Supporting Member

I just pulled mine and replaced with a CMATMODS Signa Drive. The BB Preamp is beautiful, but it almost sounds "too good" (if that makes sense). Kinda like college football vs. the pros. That rough-around-the-edges feel has a certain appeal.

Still hangin onto the BB. Jury is still out...

5. Dave

Dave Member

BB Plus.

6. jeffinaustin

jeffinaustin Supporting Member

I use my BB for a Marshall type tone. It basically gives me a 3rd channel on my amp. Very amplike, very unpedal-like to me.

7. Dog Boy

Dog Boy Member

BBs a great pedal but I'm using a Jetter Red for that slot on my board now. I'll leave it at that.

8. shredtrash

shredtrash Supporting Member

+1. I just got one and I am waaaayyyy impressed with it. I've never owned a better sounding overdrive/distortion pedal than this. I'm not just saying this because it's new either. The BB plus is a fire breather!:RoCkIn

9. gang twanger

gang twanger Member

I'm not sure, but you may want to check out the Throbak Overdrive Boost thread that got revived today/tonight. Very amplike and more versatility than you can shake a ten-pointed stick at.

10. Lynchsandman

Lynchsandman Member

The BB has been replaced on my board by MI Audio's wonderful Blues Pro for the simple reason that it sounds more like the type of music I wanna make.

I did love the BB though, especially as a big fat boost during solo time.

11. Jman60

Jman60 Member

Fuchs Plush Drive is something to think about. Very versatile, sounds excellent and quiet too. It replaced my AC Booster in a heartbeat.

12. soopajeanmi

soopajeanmi Member

Barber Small Fry: everything the BB can do plus much more. Can be cleaner, can be nastier, can be more compressed or less compressed. The gain goes from totally clean to quite saturated, like the BB. Is even more transparent than the BB. It *feels* better to me too.

13. jony2

jony2 Member

I don't really agree that the Small Fry can go cleaner than the BB pre. The BB can go totally clean. The Small Fry can't

Other than that I do agree with you. The mids on the Small fry arent as rough as the BB. The Small fry is a little more refined I would say.

14. gtrfinder

Thanks for the info so far
    Does the Lovepedal Eternity come close

15. soundbee

soundbee Member

I've tried for a long time to kick the BB from my board. So many contenders (just about everything mentioned above - and then a lot more). I keep coming back to the BB. It's so dynamic - play soft and you hear the clean tone coming through - dig in and it roars. I finally gave up - the BB stays. But then, added an RC after it for just a slight volume boost for solos - WOW - that's THE sound.

I will mention that the BB does not like crappy amps and sounds best with and amp on the verge.

Why I keep coming back to it is that is sounds like there's a bit of the bypassed signal mixed in with the drive.

When you open it up there's a bit more going on inside that most other drives - two ICs - my guess one is for the drive and the other is a clean mix/boost.

16. PLAYLOUD

PLAYLOUD Member

Nothing can replace the power of the BB (Darth Vader voice) :BEER

he's correct, similar sound with the BB, but more open, less compression and not as smooth.

17. Todd Lynch

Todd Lynch Member

LOVE the BB... One of my fave dirt pedals ever.

18. gtrfinder

Still wondering about the Eternity.
    Meanwhile, anyone used a Bass BB Preamp for guitar?

19. jony2

jony2 Member

I tried the Bass BB Pre for guitar. It doesnt work. Voicing is very different.

The Eternity is more in the TS vein of things, which is useful if you want that general type of sound. It about as open as the BB is, if not a little more, but you can hear TS influences in the circuit through abit of bass loss and some filtering off of the treble.

20. DaveG

DaveG Gold Supporting Member

While I like the Small Fry much better than the BB, I didn't find either one to be very touch sensitive. For me, the OceanEFX Pearl Drive has blown them both away:

http://www.oceanefx.com/Pearl-Drive.php