Replacement Necks

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by thesooze, Jul 14, 2008.

1. thesooze

thesooze Member

Can I just use any neck--- say from Warmoth or Allparts, et al, on any Fender Tele? I have a 72 RI Deluxe that I'm looking to swap out the neck on eventually. I really just don't dig the headstock and have no qualms about not keeping it LEGIT as a reissue. I might stay with the 1--11/6 width, but do something with a classic T-style headstock and maybe a thicker profile...

Will some fit and some not fit? Any recommendations?

How much of the tone of the guitar is in the neck?

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 23, 2008
  2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Take a careful look at the shape of the pocket in the front. You have a curved, Strat style heel and matching neck pocket. Unless you order a Tele neck with a Strat heel (hard to sell if you don't like it) you won't have the right shape.

Now, look at the back of the guitar, and count the neck bolts. Unless I am half asleep, you should count three screws or bolts, not 4. So you have to order a Strat heel with a 3 bolt configuration. Not the usual 4.

I think Tommy Rosamond at USA Custom Guitars can do this for you, but I dare say it will cost a bit, as compared to the many webspecial necks he has there with a more conventional set of specs. But it will probably be the best neck you have played in a long while, so the value is there.

I happen to be doing a one piece flamed, double bound alder 2 HB Tele body from Tommy right now, that has a Strat neck pocket, but I'm using a 4 bolt neck, vintage small Strat headstock. I hope it will look good. I agree with you, the headstock you have is a bit large. I can't have them because I keep hitting stuff with those, destroying mike stands and such.

Bubbanov

3. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

Warmoth will do it at no extra cost ready to go straight on.Better than USACG as well.

4. K-Line

K-Line Gold Supporting Member

Nate, USACG is the man. Best neck out there and will not treat you horrible if there is an issue like some other turtle company, ahem, did I say that out loud? I do agree that unloading a strat heeled tele headstock would be tough. You could just get a neck like you have but to your specs!

5. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Definitely, USACG, betta' than Warmoth by a mile.

6. pickaguitar

pickaguitar 2011 TGP Silver Medalist Silver Supporting Member

7. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

How many are you basing that on? and in what respect?

8. buddastrat

buddastrat Member

Lots Eagle, actually couple decades of many local customers, local lutheirs, reading and hearing many experiences on both their quality and service, over the years, and my own experiences with their poor service and so-so quality at times. Some of their stuff has been good while some not.

Never, ever read a bad thing on USACG and lutheirs have been impressed with the quality, not knowing where it came from, just impressed.

9. Rockinrob86

Rockinrob86 Supporting Member

10. andygio

andygio Member

Warmoth has the 3 bolt ready to go, according to their site for an additional $15, only available on top adjust Vintage Modern construction necks.

http://www.warmoth.com/guitar/necks/necks.cfm?fuseaction=heel

They also state: "It seems that there are some reissue models that use slightly different hardware…we don’t know the specifics and all we can tell you is that our work is perfectly matched to the early 70’s Fender specs."

One last question to consider: Will they put a rounded heel on a Tele peghead neck?

As an aside, of all the Warmoth necks I've owned (nearly 2 dozen), the Vintage Modern Std was my 2nd favorite behind the Strat Boat neck I had.

11. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

My experience over the same period is pretty much the opposite, many necks, bodys and guitars .Warmoth have always delivered top quality and there website is second to none. The USACG stuff on the other hand has looked decidedly unfinished by comparison.

12. carbz

carbz Supporting Member

Personally I love the neck you got on that tele. I played one once and loved the feel of the neck. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think they use a 12" radius on those? Yes the heels are square on teles and rounder on strats so you need to make sure you get the right heel. As far as a replacement I always recommend USAcustom as Tommy is great to work with and his fretwork is better then Warmoth. Every warmoth I bought needed a fret leveling where Tommys necks are bolt and play. Plus he gives you exactly what you want. The Musickraft stuff looks real nice but haven't tried them. Allparts look to have nice necks @ amazing prices but I was told the frets need some work.

13. robyogi

robyogi Silver Supporting Member

I've had both Warmoth and USACG. Both were good, and very similar IMO, especially since the USACG guys came from Warmoth. Personally I prefer USACG's more vintage radius, though that's just my preference and I can see why others might want Warmoth's flatter radius. Or, either one can make just about any radius you want. Also, I preferred that USACG's neck came without a nut installed, just because I can then better cut it specifically for my guitar. Again, depends on what you want. I would not hesitate to buy either again.

14. Eagle1

Eagle1 Member

The frets on all replacement necks need work as the are not dressed.

15. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

IMO, the need to dress an aftermarket neck is subjective, and depends on the demands of the player. I'd say the fretwork at either company, for me, has been better than on most any big label production guitar. I've got to clean the lacquer off the frets of maple boards anyway. You can't do too much fret detailing IMO but these are most playable without such unless you feel the need.

I've bought I think 20 Warmoth necks, both Vintage Modified and Vintage, Strat and Tele, Rosewood and Maple Board, one piece Indian Rosewood, in 6105 and in 6150, in Fatback and in Boatbeck, in 1 + 1/16ths nominal and 1 + 5/8ths nominal, and these are all fine quality neck, worthy of professional use.

I've bought I think 11-12 USACG necks, almost all maple boards but just about every radius and other option you might think of. Amazing variety; left handed headstocks and too many fat fatter and fattest neck girths to count. Yes, because of licensing issues you must do headstock detailing, but the heel transition on the Warmoth needs major revision as well. You need to be prepared to do your own finishing to get maximum fun ( and maximum fit ) out of an aftermarket neck IMO anyway, so a little headstock shaping is no big deal.

I found, mounting the two brands of necks to many different bodies, some partscaster type and some I've finished myself, that the USACG for the most part create more gasps and nervous giggles. Cool stuff with that added spark. Some of the Warmoths have been pretty neat also, but a talent like Tommy Rosamond is hard to find and it is the right place to go looking for that transcendant quality neck. And finish it yourself.

16. thesooze

thesooze Member

I see..... seems the consensus is USACG.... could someone point me to a neck that has:

(1) Has the heel I need
    (2) Has the same width (I believe it's 1" 11/16) as the 72 RI neck.
    (3) Has a thickness like a Full C or a U/D neck--- maybe .80---/.90

THANKS!

Also,

Would it be lame to put a strat neck on this? With a strat headstock? I bet the heel would fit better anyway.... Thoughts?

17. K-Line

If you know what you need, then just call Tommy or Rob and they will guide you through the order!

18. thesooze

thesooze Member

any other thoughts?

19. K-Line

I would stick with the big headstock. It then holds it's vibe!

20. thesooze

thesooze Member

How much of the tone of the guitar is in the neck?