Replacement pickguard for Tyler-suggestions needed

Discussion in 'The Small Company Luthiers' started by Little Larry, May 16, 2019.

1. Little Larry

Little Larry Supporting Member

I'd like to replace the pickguard on a Tyler Japan Studio Elite. Tyler Japan has declined to respond so I looking for a source. Any suggestions?

2. FiestaRed

FiestaRed Member

Call a Tyler dealer?

3. eclecticsynergy

eclecticsynergy Member

Given the slanted pickups, I think you'd need to make a tracing of the original and have one custom made.

4. trap

trap Supporting Member

Did you call Tyler USA? They make pick guards and could tell you if they fit. They have always been very responsive to my queries.

lifeson1 likes this.
  5. lifeson1

lifeson1 Supporting Member

This! Or you will have to go to a local luthier to trace and have them do it. I had mine replaced on my Classic a few years ago, and I went through JT

6. ChicagoFraize

ChicagoFraize Member

I've had two pick guards made by Tyler USA, for USA built. Try Tyler first.

7. Steven

Steven Member

I contacted Tyler a few months ago for a new pick guard for my 2004 BW2K. They were very quick to respond. They told me that due to a fire a few years ago they lost the templates for the pickguards for guitars made prior to 2015 (IIRC) so the newer pickguards dont fit older guitars when it comes to the pick guard screews.

8. trap

trap Supporting Member

This op put up two threads about this and then disappeared. Not even a thank you!

9. Jay Will

Jay Will Member

I’d make one myself by tracing the original outline as a template and looking for a nice piece of plastic or aluminum to use.

10. Trebor Renkluaf

Trebor Renkluaf I was hit by a parked car, what's your excuse? Silver Supporting Member

11. arnie65

arnie65 Supporting Member

https://quickguards.com/

I've been doing business with this guy here in Florida for a few years, he's as good as anyone at Fender, Tyler, Gibson, etc. His pickguards are all custom to your specs and he's very affordable. You just need to trace a perfect drawing of your pickguard with screwholes and all. He does single, double and triple bound etc..

Cheers,
    Arnie...

trap likes this.
  12. movingpictures

movingpictures Supporting Member

Great stuff there. Thanks for the link!

13. trap

trap Supporting Member

Does he have the Studio Elite template? I’m so lazy about removing it and taking everything off to get a good template.

14. willhutch

willhutch Supporting Member

Careful, the Tyler SE pickguard template changed over the years. So even if he has done a Tyler, it might not be quite the same.

trap likes this.
  15. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

How are you going to put a new pickguard on the guitar without taking the old one off?

16. trap

trap Supporting Member

I’ll take it off once to replace it but I don’t want to take it off to trace then put back together then take off again. Just writing it I’m tired! :D

17. 2HBStrat

2HBStrat Member

Well, that's certainly up to you...if I was doing it, and I HAVE done it, I would take the pickguard off and do as accurate a tracing that I could possibly do so that the replacement would be a perfect fit...then leave the guitar in the case until the new pickguard comes in. It's actually no extra work at all but will assure a better fit...

arnie65 and trap like this.
  18. trap

trap Supporting Member

It takes a month to get the new pick guard and I practice every day and gig with this guitar. It’s my #1. When it becomes important enough for me I’ll do it.

19. arnie65

arnie65 Supporting Member

Listen, if you want a quality job, you'll need to remove the pickguard and carefully trace the thing with a pencil at a 45 degree angle on a piece of manila paper or cardboard. After he makes yours, he'll have a template for future orders. Maybe he does already, you have to ask.

Arnie...

trap likes this.