Replacement pickups for '72 Tele Deluxe....options?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by michaelvincent, Feb 24, 2008.

1. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

I did a bit of searching and I'm still not totally sure so I need to ask...

I want to put a new pickup in the neck position of my '72 Deluxe reissue tele, specifically something with more of a P90 character (if not an actual humbucker sized P90). I've read a ton of things on this guitar and have frankly I'm now a bit confused as to what is and isn't possible with this guitar.

Is there anything on the market that will fit with a minimum of cosmetic work on the guitar? I'd love to avoid rerouting anything (I don't have much access to the tools, and I am a bit of a monkey when it comes to tools anyhow). I wouldn't have a problem with a cutom pickguard if I can fit a pickup in there, but I've heard that the route in the body is actually too shallow to just drop a replacement in there.

Basically, I just need the straight dope on what kind of project I'm looking at to get some new pickups in there.

Thanks guys.

2. wyldesigns

wyldesigns Member

Bump - what he said....

3. forgivenman

forgivenman Supporting Member

Seymour Duncan makes something that sounds almost exactly like what you're looking for. It's called a Fat Cat. It's a P90 in a humbucker shaped pup made for Les Paul's (and presumably other HB equiped guitars). I can't remember if they spell it "fat" or "phat" but a search on either should give you some results. If you go with it, let me know what you think, I've been curious about the possibility of replacing the neck PU in my 72 Deluxe too.

Good luck!

4. Jahn

Jahn Listens to Johnny Marr, plays like John Denver Supporting Member

You know I've been looking around, and a Fralin P92 has those offset poles like an old seth lover fender bucker, and it bucks hum, but apparently still sounds like a P90. I've been debating dropping something like that in a tele neck position, but would like to hear some clean clips of it first.

[​IMG]

Did some searching and found a TGPer that put on in their Tele, looks right to me, for a brighter sound I'm leaning to this or a firebird PU right now:

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=308240&highlight=firebird+pickup+telecaster&page=2

[​IMG]

5. michaelvincent

michaelvincent Member

Ok guys, I actually have an answer because I spent my Saturday afternoon actually putting this together. For the hell of it I picked up a GFS Dream 90 to give it a try (figuring for $30 it wasn't a total loss on the pickup if things didn't work out).

The route itself fits the pickup just fine. The pickguard however is cut for the Wide Range Humbuckers and won't just fit any old humbucker on it's own (the hole it too big). There IS hope though. You just barely have the space to drill out the pickguard to install the plastic mounting ring and you can screw the pickup into that. Works like a charm. And I was shocked that the Dream 90 isn't a half bad pickup in this guitar. Or if you just want to not screw around too much you can always order a replacement pickguard made to fit standard humbuckers.

[​IMG]

6. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I have just completed my first retro-fit wide range humbucker using the MIM re-issue cover and bracket and my own custom bobbins with alnico v magnets. I'll be testing the sound over the next few days. Here's what they look like. These are the full size, wide range humbuckers and will drop right into a '72 Re-issue, or a real '72 Thinline for that matter!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. Shooter Bob

Shooter Bob Member

I just wired it up in the neck position of my Thinline and it sounds great. It reads 8.05k ohms but is considerably louder than the re-issue p'up in the bridge position because of the 12 alnico v magnets.

The sound is VERY Fender and sort of a cross between a humbucker and single sound. Like a fat single coil, but not quite P90 midrangey.

I won't know the real sound until I can jam with some people and crank it up. Right now, I'm very pleased. The sound is more complex than the MIM Re-issues and the balance is very sensitive to height settings. Raising and lowering the bass and treble sides of the pickup produce vastly different tones. I'm diggin' it!

The bridge p'up will be wound considerably hotter to fatten up the tone for that position. That's next week. Stay tuned!