Replacement Pickups for a Jimmie Vaughan Strat

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by coyoteblue, Nov 23, 2005.

1. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

I recently bought a JV strat with Tex-Mex Pickups. The guitar feels and plays great but the pickups seem awfully trebly to me now. I'd appreciate some suggestions for replacement pickups that have more meat, more grit, more bass. What's worked for you? Thanks for any advice you can give.

2. einstein

einstein Member

i get nothing but compliments from my 10 year old fralins. everybody always asks me what they are. theyre in a maple neck strat and are vintage not hot.

3. FUSER

FUSER Member

I read a few threads at the FDP and they all put Fat 50s in their JV or left the stock pickups. From what I get the Tex mex are actually good pickups for overdriven sounds.

Yesterday I put a set of fat 50s in my mim strat and I I like them. Nice quack.

I have also used Rio grande and among them the Tallboy is very impressive.

I dont know why I changed it but If I wil get them back in future.

4. corgiears

corgiears Member

The Tex-Mex pickups are an overwound single coil much like a Texas Special, and usually that results in less "highs," but it can sometimes make the trebles harsh.

Anyway, maybe a lower output pickup would be more what you want to hear - the highs on a lower output single coil will have more shimmer and "air" and will probably be less harsh than what you are getting from the Tex-Mex's. The Fat 50's are a good choice but still slightly overwound. The Custom Shop 54's are nice as well as Fralins and many of the Duncan pickups. I had a set of Duncan Alnico Pro II's in a strat that was naturally very bright and they sounded great.

Also, as a temporary fix, lower the pickups way down to the pick guard and then back up high and see if either helps. Pickup height on single coils is really important.

5. Jim Collins

Jim Collins Member

One thing you might consider, when shopping for pickups, is magnet type. If the high end of your pickups seems to sharp or too harsh, you might consider pickups with alnico II magnets. I have used a great many Strat pickups that claim to be authentic replicas of vintage pickups. I have liked several, and have hated several. The pickups I really liked all have one thing in common: alnico II magnets. In my experience, pickups with these magnets tend to be smoother on the top end. They are still bright, but not harsh.

Incidentally, all of the Strat pickups I really hated also have one thing in common: alnico V magnets. I actually have used alnico V Strat pickups that were pretty good, but I now tend to stay away from them. My favorite Strat pickups are Duncan Antiquities, which use alnico II magnets.

6. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

Tex Mex are actually my favorite pups. I do know that the bridge pup on the JV is actually hotter that standard tex mex say like in my old california strat. Do you play mostly with the bridge? The earlier poster is right the tex mex are much like texas specials which I'd consider as well. If you still want to change you may want to ask about Rio Grnade as every one I know with them loves them.

7. Soothsayer

Soothsayer (Paul) Supporting Member

Before you buy, try dropping the pickups down to the pickguard. I just bought a JV and when I did the setup on it I dropped the pickups down to the pickguard, before this they were trebly and harsh, after they were tone monsters.:dude

8. coyoteblue

coyoteblue Member

Thanks for all the advice. I will drop the pickups and check that out. I changed string, to DR's today, and this helped a bit. Why is that some think pickups will not ultimately make that big a difference. Does the wood affect brightness that much?

9. keith_t4e

keith_t4e Member

the maple board makes a huge differance over rosewood which is nowhere near as bright and plangy. the tex mex in my california which has a rosewood sounded great very straty.