Replacement pickups for Burstbuckers in new 335?

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
My buddy tells me the new 335's are fantastic but need to have the frets rounded and the pups replaced. Just wondered if there is any consensus here on what is a good replacement for the pickups. The frets do need to be milled. Otherwise it plays great.The guitar is a new Gibson Memphis 335.

Bogner

Suhr Thornbucker. I put a set in my 59 335 and couldn't be happier. Upgrade all the guts and go for it!

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
This is the thing. I don't know if the BB's are bad. Some seem to dig them. That should be my question I guess.

Neon Trotsky

I have a recent Memphis 335 as well. First see if you actually like the BB's, you might, you never know.

I don't hate the Burstbuckers, but I don't love them either. The bridge is good for snarling gnarly rock tones, which I like, but then it's unpotted so it's prone to squeeling at high gain, which is why I'll soon replace it.

I've got my eye on a Fralin 'Pure PAF' for the bridge position, which I'm told is a bit hotter than traditional PAF clones, so probably great for loud rock, especially given that it's potted as well.

If I had a LP or other humbucker equipped Gibson in my stable to handle the heavy-lifting rock duties, I'd probably opt for something more mellow and traditional for a bridge pup.

As predominantly a SC's guy, I hate hate HATE neck humbuckers - they're always woofy, muddy, very poor note-to-note-separation on chords compared to SC's (imo) and overdriven on a 335 remind me of super cheesy Weather Channel-esque music Larry Carlton type tones, NO THANKS.
For sure I will replace the neck Burstbucker with a P90 type variant, perhaps a Fralin p92, if it has some of the spank I'm looking for on the wound strings which humbuckers NEVER seem to do.

So anyways, this is my own personal approach on this issue I share with you.

qblue

I like the '57 Classic because it is wax potted. The unpotted BB's could easily become microphonic, like the unpotted ones in my original 1970 Strat, especially at loud volumes.

cap10kirk

Burstbuckers are actually my favorite Gibson humbuckers. I prefer my Duncan Antiquities over everything else I've tried though, the Duncan Seth Lovers and Alnico 2 Pros are great as well.
It really depends on what sound you want. There are pretty much endless options for different pickups. There are even pretty much endless options just for PAF type humbuckers.

Chicago Slim

Burstbuckers can be a good semi-hollow pickup. But there are different versions (types of alnico magnets). My only experience is with Burstbucker Pro's (alnico V's). I like them a lot.

TheGuildedAge

I have used boutique, but am a huge Dimarzio 36th anniversary fan.

I don't have an es335, but I also have air classic in my guild starfire.

doublescale1

Suhr S-Classic, V60LP's, Soft V neck
Gold Supporting Member
I have a set of Burstbucker Pro's in my '16 LP Studio Faded T - the first set of Gibson stock pickups that I have not felt compelled to replace. They sound very good. I dont know what those are compared to what you may have though. I put a set of Peter Florence '59's in my 335, they are perfect. I'd encourage you to check out his website, very accurate vintage PAF tone.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
Thanks for all the great responses!
How do you like the pickups in the guitar now? In your original post, you related your buddy's opinion, but what are your ears telling you?

Pickups are so subjective. I like lower output PAF types in 335's. Others might hate them.

I wish you could get a set of the Wildwood spec pickups that they put in their 63 335. First Gibson humbucker that I've had no desire to change.

Steve Snider

Gold Supporting Member
How do you like the pickups in the guitar now? In your original post, you related your buddy's opinion, but what are your ears telling you?

I wish you could get a set of the Wildwood spec pickups that they put in their 63 335. First Gibson humbucker that I've had no desire to change.

To me the BBs sound fine. Guitar sounds good but I have not spent much time playing it yet. Just wondered if everyone is down on the BB then maybe I should try some others.

enharmonic

Old Growth
Platinum Supporting Member
To me the BBs sound fine. Guitar sounds good but I have not spent much time playing it yet. Just wondered if everyone is down on the BB then maybe I should try some others.
I didn't hate the BB's that came in my R9. Were they on the same level as my Throbak's? Heck no, but they weren't offensive.

However, I don't think I'd like my Throbaks in my 335, so there's that...

Trending Topics