Replacement pickups for PRS Hollowbody I with piezo

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by fishman919, May 13, 2015.

1. fishman919

fishman919 Supporting Member

I'm thinking about replacing the pickups in my singlecut HB1 with piezo. For me the stock pickups (245's?) are too dark most of the time.

I'm thinking about a Filtertron style pickup since I enjoy the tone from my Gretsch Duo Jet. PRS Starla pickups or Lollartrons have been suggested in other threads.

Does anyone know how Filtertron pickups would sound mixed with the piezo? Is there another suggestion that would mix well?

Others have suggested 57/08's. These come on the P22 model with the piezo. I had a McCarty for a while with 57/08's and liked the pickups, but found the tone close to my 335 with 57 Classics and eventually decided I didn't need both, so I sold the McCarty.

2. Aslan

Aslan Supporting Member

I have a PRS Hollowbody II singlecut with the 57/08's and it is my most treasured instrument. From reading your thread it seems you've already decided not to go with them, therfore the next best route (IMHO) would be to go with Duncan Seth Lovers, the other choice for me would be a set of PRS DGT's and wire the guitar so you could tap the pickups for the singlecoil tones.

wilblee likes this.
  3. fishman919

fishman919 Supporting Member

I liked the 57/08's in the McCarty, but it was close enough to my 335 that I found I didn't need both.

I hadn't considered the DGT's, sounds intriguing, thanks!

4. derekd

derekd Supporting Member

The last PRS guitar I had was an Archtop IV. I dropped a Gibby 57 in the neck so it would get a better jazz tone. I found the stock pups to be a bit hot. Left the bridge alone. Worked great.

Wonderful guitar. Wish I hadn't sold it.

5. dave_fisher

dave_fisher Silver Supporting Member

The Lollar El Rayo is an excellent neck pickup!

6. jeffgoobs

jeffgoobs Member

PRS is now putting the 58/15 pickups in the Hollowbody line from the factory as of the 2016 catalog. Just figured I'd throw that in there, because they obviously like how they sound in there.

7. wilblee

wilblee Hack sans shame Gold Supporting Member

That's what I did on this one. Man, I love how that turned out.

[​IMG]

8. JCM 800

JCM 800 Member

I have a HBII spruce top with piezo. I can't remember exactly what pickups came stock but I think they sound great. The only pickups I've even thought about putting in are the DGTs because they sound great and split better than any other buckers.

FWIW my repair guy has been really talking up the 57/08s lately. They seem to be getting a lot of positive reviews.