Replacement power supply

Discussion in 'Amps/Cabs Tech Corner: Amplifier, Cab & Speakers' started by Lobotomie, Apr 26, 2016.

1. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

OK this should be an easy one for you guys.

[​IMG]

The power supply for my Radial pedal has failed (right on the picture) and I have this power supply (on the left) to replace it. I haven't had a chance to try it yet, but do you think it is a suitable replacement?

The only thing I'm worried about is where it says "SET AT 1.0A".
    Does that mean it works as a current source and the voltage supply varies to keep it constant at 1.0A?
    I've never seen this on a AC/DC adapter.

2. xtian

xtian Member

"Set at 1.0A" ... Interesting! Easy to test with a voltmeter and a resistor. Measure unloaded. Then put a resistor (load) between + and - and measure voltage again. For example, a 150 ohm, 2-watt resistor should dissipate 100mA. See what happens to the voltage.

Lobotomie and pdf64 like this.
  3. pdf64

pdf64 Member

On the face of it, it should be a suitable replacement for the original PSU.
    My reading of that label is that the PSU's transformer secondary is rated at 1.2A, but the 15Vdc regulator has a limit of 1A, above which the dc output may cut out, fall below 15V, or potentially be damaged
    Best to do xtian's tests, just to be sure.

4. Lobotomie

Lobotomie Member

I'll give it a shot tonight and come back with the results, thanks :aok

5. darkfenriz

darkfenriz Member

Pretty sure 'set at 1.0A' means absolutely nothing. Looks to be switched mode btw.

Kyle B likes this.
  6. zenas

zenas Member

Plugged into my Holy Grail the other day and figured out the PS for that is junk.
    Too lazy to dig out the multi meter so I screws around making sure I had 120 volts at the plug, then plugged it into a Vodoo Labs Amp Switcher to make sure it was the PS that died.

Long story short. After trying all sorts of things to narrow down the problem I wacked the PS and it came on for a second. So I need a new one too. :)

Of course I'll try to pull it apart when I get home and see if I can solder the bad connection inside.
    Then just buy a new one.