Replacement power transformer and amp tips wanted

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by kortlanda, Apr 18, 2008.

1. kortlanda

kortlanda Member

The current low value of the USD makes it quite tempting to import an amplifier from the US to Europe. However, the issue with different voltages needs to be resolved, and I’m not too happy about the thought of an external transformer.

I’ve seen that replacement power transformers are available from Mercury Magnets for Fender and some other amp's as well. Are there more transformer suppliers out there, with a larger variety of transformers for different brands?

I would also like to have some recommendations on which amp to get. I’m leaning towards a Mesa Lonestar, but would be happy to get tips on other amps that have a great clean channel and built in reverb. I mainly use pedals for OD, so a second high gain channel isn’t really necessary.

2. Teahead

Teahead Member

Might be tough to convince a Mesa dealer or similar to ship internationally, they're often prevented from doing that as someone will hold the European distribution rights.

You could always buy used or find a willing dealer of course, but it might be worth considering boutique builders who will build a 230v version of their amp and ship it to you. Reeves amps come to mind, Valvetech too, there are probably dozens of others.

3. SatelliteAmps

SatelliteAmps Member

A lot of amps can be switched internally or externally to run on European voltages. There are a few issues with a dealer sending a new amp from the US to Europe. Everything has to go through customs, and it has to meet the EU standards for building (and parts), and there is a taxation issue that sometimes has to be dealt with on new goods. Might not make it worth it from a USD vs. Euro conversion.

4. kortlanda

kortlanda Member

I should have mentioned that I'm primarily looking into the used market. I've seen that some amplifiers have the possibility to rewire the power transformer to different voltages. Tips of such amps are highly appreciated!

5. kortlanda

kortlanda Member

I heard that the Mesa Blue Angel is possible to rewire for 230 volts. Does anyone know if this applies to all af the Blue Angels, or if this was a special export version? Also, do other Mesa models have this possibility as well?