Replacement PUPs for 65 ES335 ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by racecar, Feb 5, 2012.

1. merriweather69

merriweather69 Member

Gibson 57 classic plus in the bridge, 57 classic in the neck, sounds great in any 335 I've heard. tv jones powertron bridge and tv classic in the neck would sound awesome, although a different look and different(but very cool sound).

2. Dogfood1

Dogfood1 Member

I have a 1970 335 that, like yours, has had a little work done to it. I put a set of WCR Godwoods in mine. With more forethought I might have done a split between the Crossroads and the Godwood, but as it is, it sounds really nice.

3. Stu Cats

Stu Cats Member

4. cowboytim

cowboytim Member

I would spend a little money and go to WCR for your Pots,caps and pick-ups. Jims complete custom electronics ALL tweaked to his specs.
    Your guitar is well worth it and Jims price is reasonable.

5. HughesP

HughesP Member

Look at the cheap stuff before changing pickups...

Pots tend to drift overtime. I've seen old gibsons with pots that have drifted down to 50k - which is as dark/muddy as can be.

Likewise, caps dry out and often drift towards rolling off more highs. Under such conditions, NO pickups can sound particularly good.

Sometimes the fix for a dull sounding guitar is much simpler/less expensive than a pickup change.

6. pickslide

pickslide Supporting Member

Fralin Psychebilly pickups sound great in my Edwards 335. They are clones of the PAF pickups in Greg Martin's 58 Les Paul

7. SPROING!

SPROING! Member

My money is on low value pots. Gibson has been known to use pots as low as 100k. That would make a tele sound dark!
    Have those checked out. A decent set of 500s in there will bring it to life.

8. gillman royce

gillman royce Member

57 Classics gets my vote

9. ianb

ianb Member

:agree

Before changing pickups, be sure to check pots and caps, perhaps replacing them with better values, it can make a huge difference! I'd do that before replacing what might turn out to be great pickups!

Having said this, I do love the Lollar Imperials in a 335-type of guitar.

10. racecar

racecar Supporting Member

Hey Guys, I finally had time to pull the pickups and I took some photos, but don't know how to upload them here. Any suggestion? Thanks

11. Carl_Tone

Carl_Tone Member

This is why having a GOOD tech / luth look at it is a good idea.

This will help determine what the TRUE source or sources of the problem are.

Pickups, Pots, Hardware, all are significant contibutors to tone and should all be analyzed.

This board is full of threads / information from supposedly experienced 335 owners excitedly posting what pups they like, as if pups were the be all / end all of semi hollow issues. (Yes, certainly get good pups if it turns out they are needed.)

It is so much more involved though.

Even the height of your pups and pole pieces are factors.

And from your own description you are going to need pots...most likely 500K pots. You want a smooth transition and a brighter guitar...that is job 1 right there.

12. racecar

yeah, I gotcha on that, others said the same thing and I investigated WCR already and if pots are whats needed thats who I will get them from.

But, during the discussions, some said to remove the pups and take photos so I can figure what the heck I have. One of them has a black sticker that says PATENT NO. or PATEN NUMBER and has a number underneath it. The other one is something I have never seen before and since I am a neophyte when it comes to this stuff, I thought uploading photos would help me identify what I actually have for pups.

I am in the cue at my trusted guitar tech's shop and will test all the various components as recommended in this thread. It makes sense and yes, probably pot replacement (not the smoking kind) is probably a requirement.

But again, I would like to know what pups I have, I just cannot figure out how to upload the four photos I took of them..... so any suggestions on how, would be appreciated. Thanks

13. jfwund

jfwund Member

Upload the pictures to Flickr or Photobucket or any online picture-hosting site, really, then when you want to post them here, click on the little box with the mountains in it, and insert the URL to the picture. If you're using Flickr, there's a "share" option above each of your photos, and you can just click that, choose the size of the picture you want, and then copy/paste the code for bulletin boards into your post here on TGP.

Hope that's helpful.

14. racecar

Thanks, I will try that, I will have to create an account I think. I thought I could just upload them directly to my post, guess not. Hopefully will have this in a few, I really want to know what I have here.

15. racecar

16. ultra

ultra Member

Looks like your bridge pickup is an original for that period. Keep that one. The neck pickup is a "tar back" epoxied Gibson pickup from the 70s. Dice that one.
    It is most probably a Gibson Super hum bucker with a very high output.....
    equals muddy tone.
    Possibly have a tech put the original pickup in the neck and find yourself another period correct pickup for the bridge position. The Patent # pickups are very good pickups and work really well in ES335 and the like.

17. racecar

Thanks for the input.

Has anyone had experience with this kit? I am thinking of getting it for my 335.

http://store.rsguitarworks.net/PWVINT335.html

It seems tailored to my needs and comes as a kit. I will have my pickups tested as well.

I see these patent number pickups selling for pretty good money, would you guys with more experience look to sell this one and buy a couple of new paf style pickups from WCR or one of the others? Or would you go and pay the price to get another patent number pickup? If you would go and buy another patent number pickup, then why?

I am not necessarily trying to keep this original. I want the best playing 335 I can resurrect so to speak. This guitar is a player and will most likely be my go to guitar if I can get it all sorted out. My back loves me for playing the 335, not so much my heavy solid body guitars.

Thanks for the advice, I play these things, not too technical on the gutar electronics front, although I did take my amp apart last month and put it back together with success (which was a miracle). I thought it was a holiday installing a new speaker in one of my amps successfully....

18. ultra

ultra Member

Racecar,

I have 9 ES335s, 345s and a 355. Most have original pickups but I have one that I put in a set of Gibson 57s, one that has a set of Holmes H450/H455s and the third one has a set of Voodoo 59s.

Apart from the originals, I prefer the Holmes, then Voodoos and finally the Gibson 57s. They are all good but the Holmes win out in the replacements.

I would recommend using a wiring kit and possibly use an 0.015mf cap in the neck and a 0.022mf in the bridge. The 0.015mf cap reduces that muddiness you can get with a neck humbucker. Also use a lower dc value neck pickup at around 7.5k ohms (possibly your Patent # pickup) because this also cleans up the woofiness.

19. ultra

ultra Member

20. racecar

Thanks very much for the great information! I will research BCS as well. Curious to know why such the big price difference.

Any others out there can provide input? Curious to hear various points of view and suggestions. I only get one chance to do this right and I admit I am not knowledgeable enough on this topic.