Replacement PUPs for 65 ES335 ?

Discussion in 'Guitars in General' started by racecar, Feb 5, 2012.

1. rabbuhl

rabbuhl Member

One option is to put the photos on www.photobucket.com. After you upload the photo you can copy the link to each photo and put it in your TGP post.

2. racecar

racecar Supporting Member

Thanks, I got that down, the link is in a previous post. Looking for input from those more experienced with 335's and like to get a number of opinions before I go through the expense. But I am resigned to the fact I will need new pots and will want to get the "kit" so to speak, so everything is new before considering what to do with pickups. I might look to buy another patent pickup or sell the one I have and buy a new set of pickups. Just not really sure the advantage of either direction.

3. 335guy

335guy Member

As an earlier poster mentioned, the bridge pickup definitely looks to be original. Notice the rust on the individual pole adjustments screws. Pretty common for older patent # pickups. But there are other indicators as well. That pickup should measure around 7.5 ohms of resistance; maybe a little more if you're lucky. Those are highly sought after pickups and command big bucks usually. Do NOT remove the cover. SD makes a decent PAF style pickup for the neck position, the '59 SH-1 and it should meld nicely with the original pickup. This would result in a very traditional, 335 tone, assuming the pots and cap values are correct and not degraded.

4. racecar

racecar Supporting Member

Just an update and a THANK YOU to those who know much more about the 335 then I do, many good suggestions. I ended up speaking with the folks at RS (I think his name was Billy) and after much discussion, I ended up buying their wiring kit . They had two choices for cap's and I went with the one that has a bit more midrange punch (based on discussing music style with Billy). While it was somewhat overpriced in my opinion, I felt comfortable spending the extra bucks due to the time he spent with me on the phone to truly understand what my needs are and how my guitar was sounding before I pulled the pickups.

I also purchased an early 60's patent sticker pickup up with 7.53 on the meter to compliment the Pat sticker pickup I have in the bridge. It was expensive and probably not worth the cost, but it will provide a little consistency and maintain some of the value of the guitar.

So thanks for all the help. Once again, I got great input from TGP'ers and it helped with the decision making process. I am hopeful that these changes will bring my 335 back to life and it will once again enter regular rotation in the lineup, most likely it will become #1 guitar for me (hopefully). Will update once I have it back in my hands, but I am hopeful this will resolve the issues I had and will breath new life into my guitar.