Replacement Recommendations for Maxon CS-550 Chorus & PH-350 Phaser?

Discussion in 'Effects, Pedals, Strings & Things' started by jamison162, Feb 1, 2008.

1. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I have both of these Maxon Vintage Series pedals and really like them. Problem is I have too many pedals I'm trying to cram on my board and I'm looking to downsize these two.

What would be your recommendations on a small box chorus and phaser that would get as close to these analog and very organic sounding units?

My initial thoughts...

Chorus:
    Arion SCH-1
    Analogman mini chorus

Phaser:
    Retro-Sonic (that's all I can come up with)

2. forestryguy

forestryguy Member

For a small box phaser, the Tonefactor Nebula is very fine if you don't need any wild and wacky sounds. It is very lush and rich sounding.

3. jamison162

jamison162 Member

What about the old Boss CS-2 also?

4. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Problem is that it sounds absolutely nothing like the PH-350.
    And I wish I could suggest something, not just point that out!

Jamison - IMO, of the phasers I've owned, nothing really sounds like the PH-350... try finding a Shannon maybe... while it's supposedly like a Phase 90, I found it to be quite different (it was NOTHING like the Retro Sonic) and it was pretty damn lush and 'organic'.

5. TheWarmth

TheWarmth Member

Good luck finding another phaser that sounds as good as the PH-350. The Toneczar Halo will do it and maybe the HBE Psyclobe (I've never owned one, but I know they sound good), but neither of those are any smaller than your Maxon.

6. jamison162

jamison162 Member

So Ben, you think sticking with the larger PH-350 is worth the real estate? They are hard to let go of...even the pcb's in them are large, no way you can re-box. But, it's either downsize both and make it worth the effort, or just live with them. To me, that CS-550 is to analog/organic chorus tones as the PH-350 is to phase tones.

7. Sandro

Sandro Member

With all the option that the PH350 offer you the estate is well worth, if you save 1/4 of the space and get something smaller but limited in sounds options, in my opinion you gain estate but you loose a ton of sounds.

Sandro

8. funkycam

funkycam Member

Gotta echo the above.
    the ph350 is worth the space imo.

9. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

No, I moved away from that sound and am using a Red Witch Deluxe Moon Phase now, which has more of a shimmery, vibe-like quality to it. Totally not PH-350ish. I've never owned a CS-550, but perhaps a Analogman Mini Chorus could free up a lot of space (and my AM Chorus sounds very organic and wonderful), and you could thereby keep the PH-350. You know I've tried a few phasers and really I don't feel that any do what the PH-350 does. Even the PH-350's "standard" sound... nothing does it IMO. It's a fantastic phaser for sure.

10. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    I suggest if you are capable, is to repackage them. Buy some cool swirly painted boxes. I have these pedals too and they are unique sounding, but if you open them up you'll notice that about 1/2 the box is empty except for the footswitch. By repacakagin thme you can move the jacks to the top edge of the box, so that will add to the space savings.

http://www.thegearpage.net/board/showthread.php?t=336664

TheGrooveking

11. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

You obviously haven't opened a PH-350 lately... ;)
    Yes, there's some space, but not 1/2 the box! It's not like a Big Muff or something...
    I don't think you could fit the 2 boards, switch, jacks, etc. into a standard hammond box.

[​IMG]

12. 4styx

4styx Member

The Diamond Halo Chorus has chorus and phaser in one box.I haven't got one yet but the sound clips are calling my name.

13. jamison162

jamison162 Member

That's what I recall it looking like. Man, it just looks like it would sound good right!!!

14. TheGrooveking

TheGrooveking Member

An Alternate Reality in a Parallel Universe...
    That can still be put into a smaller overall enclosure with the jacks at the top and footswitch mounted above the board. I just opened up the that whole Maxon series, the DS830 Distortion Master board only takes up only 30% of the box, the AD900 has two different size boards, 2 chip and 4 chip models, but they both can be moved into smaller boxes. The key to this is taller boxes than the standard small effect box.

As to the PH350, it is the most loaded of the series, but look at it from what can be done, there are two circuit boards, the main one and the one with the pots and the switch mounted to them. These are offset in the original box. The other thing you will have to do, is change to a round mount DC power jack, unless you have a method of cleanly putting that rectangular shapped opening into the new box. Plus with repackaging the pedal you can add true bypass to it, by upgrading the switch. If you mounted these parts into a box the same size of Voodoo Lab pedal but taller it would work and again, with the jacks along the top, you will gain another 10" square inches of space on your pedalboard.

TheGrooveking

15. jcshirke

jcshirke Silver Supporting Member

Eventide ModFactor?

16. jamison162

jamison162 Member

Yeah, maybe later this year. Will keep an eye/ear out fo sho!

17. williamh

williamh Supporting Member

Both my buddy and I have owned the maxon cs-9 pro and at one point compared it extensively with the maxon vintage series chorus. They sound almost exactly the same. The cs-9 pro is also in a much smaller package.

18. iualum

iualum Member

...yeah, you could go CS-9 Pro & PT-9 Pro+, in fact, I happen to have an additional PT-9 Pro+ available if you want to PM me...

19. Ben C.

Ben C. Member

Having stuff crammed that much closer... would you be open to more noise issues or is that a moot point?

20. jamison162

jamison162 Member

I've had the CS-9, the purple one right. Didn't like it...then I bought the CS-550, mine's an older one and it sounds much warmer and organic. The CS-9 I had was definitely more Hi-Fi than the CS-550. I can only assume the same for the PT-9....or else everyone would have one and you wouldn't hear as much praise for the PH-350.