Replacement saddles for tele?

Discussion in 'Luthier's Guitar & Bass Technical Discussion' started by Trick, Dec 20, 2009.

1. Trick

Trick Member

Hi, I have a Fender Tele and would like to replace the saddles. I've frequently been breaking strings at the saddle end and they're looking old. I am thinking about the graphtech saddles and looking for some input. I have 6 individual saddles for each string and the strings mount from the bottom of the saddle, not through the body. I was looking at glendale saddles but it doesn't look like they make a version for individual and for strings that mount on top. I'm looking mainly to help out with string breakage and not dull out the tone either. If anyone has suggestions, please let me know?

Thanks,
    Sean

2. Boris Bubbanov

Boris Bubbanov Member

Hey, Sean.

I am not certain what bridge you now have on your Tele, and without that info I cannot make a specific recommendation.

To me, I like graphtech nuts, but graphtech saddles siphon off all the Tele sparkle. I bought 3 sets of graphtech saddles and I'm not currently using a single set - I got rid of them.

3. mojocaster.com

mojocaster.com Member

Glendale or Callaham. Best Tele saddles around imho.

4. Bryan T

Bryan T Guitar Owner Silver Supporting Member

In my experience, Graphtech saddles definitely has an effect on the sound of the instrument. Not for the better, in my opinion.

5. Trick

Trick Member

Yeah, that's why I was looking for opinions. Thanks for the info about the graphite. I may not go that route. I love the sound of this guitar. I love the way it plays and it doesn't have a bunch of twang which I'm not a big fan of. I think the bridge section needs an upgrade and here's a pic so you can see what I'm talking about. Can I use the glendale system with this, or other suggestions? thanks again

here's the pic: http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l428/Lehmeow/telebridge.jpg

[​IMG]

6. Trick

Trick Member

anyone have ideas or what kind of replacement saddle set?

7. curtis

curtis Member

if you go to Allparts, item number:

BP-0122-001 - Round Bridge Saddles

should do you, they look like a direct replacement. If you like the way everything is on your guitar, sometimes its best to just stick to the same thing.

The hi-quality parts companies would be the best without doubt, but these'll most likely be great.

cheers

8. Trick

Trick Member

thanks for the info Curtis, will check that out.

9. Tone_Terrific

Tone_Terrific Member

A top load Tele with a non-stock (brass?) saddle already in place and you don't want too much twanginess. I wouldn't reject the Graph-Tech.

10. Trick

Trick Member

I like the way it sounds now, just want to help prevent string breakage. There's definitely twang to it, but I don't want to add anymore. I don't think that it would cost me much to experiment, so maybe I will pick up a set of the graphtechs.

11. Trick

Trick Member

I'm now looking to replace both bridge and saddles on this. Anyone know if glendale or callaham makes a drop in replacement for this. Doesn't matter if sides are cut or not or if it's 3 saddle compensated.

thanks

12. Trick

Trick Member

thanks for the link, it doesn't look like there is a direct replacement. they have the american plate but does not have two mount holes on neck side, and not top loading.

13. walterw

walterw Gold Supporting Member

then glendale or callaham are the wrong direction for you.

look at the heavy brass gotoh tele bridge allparts sells.