Replacement speaker for 1962 Deluxe?

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by snarkle, Dec 23, 2009.

1. snarkle

snarkle Member

I'm on the fence about selling my brown 1962 Deluxe, but before it hits the block I think I'd like to try a new speaker...the original one went missing long ago.

Currently it's sporting an older Celestion Vintage 30, which sounds harsh and unmusical in what should really be a pretty warm-sounding amp, based on others I've owned. (I'm actually quite surprised by just how nasty the Celestion sounds...I've had good luck with these in other amps.)

I play open-tuned blues, psychedelic folk-rock, and fake jazz with fusionesque overtones, favour Strat-style guitars, and tend to hang out just on the edge of distortion. So, basically, I'd like something on the warm-and-smooth side.

Any suggestions?

2. slider313

slider313 Silver Supporting Member

A Weber 1230-55 well broken in. This will give you all the warmth and smooth you need. I don't know what brand of 6V6's you have in there, or if they're biased correctly, but that might be where your harsh and bright may be coming from.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2009
  3. Jack Dotson

Jack Dotson Supporting Member

4. strings

strings Member

New- Tone Tubby Alnico
    Old- JBL D120f

Either of these will take the amp to a new level. Will be great for the range of stuff you play:aok

5. snarkle

snarkle Member

I think I've got a JBL kicking around here somewhere, and a few days off once the family festivities end. I'll try it out.

I might have had that speaker in this amp at one time and found it a bit too hi-fi-ish, but that was a long time ago and I'm less of a rocker now than I was then...

Otherwise, keep the suggestions coming, and please tell my WHY you think any given speaker would be a good fit.

Thanks!

6. MBreinin

MBreinin Supporting Member

Greenbacks sound awesome in those, as do G12Hs.

7. architect

architect Member

For vintage tone - Vintage or reconed jensen p12p
    Vintage feel with a touch of modern - Jensen Blackbird Jet (sounded killer in my Quinn Octal Derby)

For a bit of british flavor - I've heard good things about a scuminco in that circuit, however it might be a bit laid back.

again ymmv...

8. JJman

JJman Member

Too much vintage mojo inside to sell. Maybe bring it somewhere that you can plug it into a speaker cab (using the amp's regular speaker output jack.) If it still sounds bad maybe the amp itself needs work. If it sounds good maybe get an idea of what speaker to get.

9. BarryW

BarryW Supporting Member

my 62 has an alnico tone tubby. Do it.