Replacement speaker for a 1969 silverface Princeton Reverb

Texas_Blues

The speaker on my amp doesn't cut it. I want something that'll give me more sparkle and punch with a nice bass response. I was thinking the celestion gold 10 inch speaker. What else would be great with it?

ShawnH

I actually own a 1969 PR - great amp. Mine had a Weber 10F150 in it when I purchased it. I have since replaced it with the Celestion Gold 10. I am very happy with the Gold 10. It's the clear winner for me between those 2 - that's all I can offer.

swiveltung

There's another thread on this currently with lots of answers. The answer is Weber 10F150T or 10F150. 50 watter. Amazing. It wont even be the same amp. Have heard the Gold is good too if you want Alnico.

Toowoombaus

Consider using a 12 inch speaker… My 1970 Princeton reverb was acquired without a speaker so I installed a 12 inch Tone Tubby ceramic and I also used the Alnico the red one sounded great!
People told me it was the best sounding Princeton and also the loudest one they had ever heard!

The Celestion Gold 10 is an excellent speaker. It's very close to the Blue tonally, but not quite there. It compresses nicely with plenty of top end and upper mid bite and a tight bottom that won't flub. It doesn't crumble quite like the blue will, necessarily, but it's a rocker that can take a beating without worrying about blowing it.

That being said, maybe consider a new baffle and a blue? Make an fantastic amp exceptional?

silver surfer

I am on several threads singing the praises of the GA10-SC64 lately. The other top choices for me are the Celestion Gold 10 and the Weber F150T. Can't go wrong with any of these. As a comparison, I would say the Weber would be the most scooped in the mid and the strongest in the bass - still tight though. The Gold would give you the most mid, but still Fenderish - not real mid foward. The Gold has a beautiful high end chime and really shines with OD pedals. The GA10 - SC64 has a little more mid than the Weber and a great high end sparkle - truly a vintage Jensen tone, and holds up very well at loud volumes and with pedals.

zenas

Amp is in good working condition with fresh filter caps right?
I know I bring this up like a broken record on PR speaker threads but there's a good reason for it.

Texas_Blues

Amp is in good working condition with fresh filter caps right?
I know I bring this up like a broken record on PR speaker threads but there's a good reason for it.
Yep it's in great condition but it has a Derek trucks weber in there.

71strat

Tone Tubby Alnico Red.

Jammin Jersey has these.

JBL K 110 10" Guitar/Full Range Speakers - 8 ohm black color alnico magnet models feature original factory cones. Cones are a little faded and "dirty" but sound excellent. 2 available. SPU007998 $150.00 each
JBL K 110 10" Guitar/Full Range Speakers - 8 ohm black color alnico magnet models feature original factory cones. Look and sound excellent. 3 available. SPU003551 $200.00 each

Muttlyboy

Consider using a 12 inch speaker… My 1970 Princeton reverb was acquired without a speaker so I installed a 12 inch Tone Tubby ceramic and I also used the Alnico the red one sounded great!
People told me it was the best sounding Princeton and also the loudest one they had ever heard!
At the suggestion of a previous gearpage post, I tried a 12" speaker in my princeton, installed in the stock 10" baffle.

Even with the undersized hole, I like the sound better than the other 10 inch speakers that I have.

If you have a 12 that you like, you want to try the same thing. If it doesn't impress you, remove it, put the 10 back in and fill the small new screw holes (or not)

zenas

Yep it's in great condition but it has a Derek trucks weber in there.

That's a good thing! So many people wrongly think the original cap can is fine and try to compensate for the weak low end with speakers.

So how did you like the DT? I'm always interested in lower efficiency speakers like those.

mlj_gear

I don't know about sparkle, but for more low end, the G10 Greenback is also great. I really like them in general, and they are super light, too.

Texas_Blues

That's a good thing! So many people wrongly think the original cap can is fine and try to compensate for the weak low end with speakers.

So how did you like the DT? I'm always interested in lower efficiency speakers like those.

Really warm sounding speakers and creamy. I put in a bid on reverb for those GA10's

Trending Topics

Top Bottom