Replacement Speaker for Peavey Classic 30 Combo

Discussion in 'Amps and Cabs' started by dcstratguy, Feb 14, 2008.

1. dcstratguy

dcstratguy Member

A few years ago, I replaced the stock Blue Marvel speaker of my Peavey Classic 30 with a Celestion Vintage 30. As far as tubes go, I replaced the stock tubes with Groove Tube EL-84S#10's in the power stage, and 12AU7's in the preamp stage. I did this in order to gain the maximum amount of clean headroom I can get out of the amp with that vintage tone that the classics are known for. I like the tone of the Vintage 30. However I have been noticing that the speaker emits some strange sounds when pushed at higher volumes with overdrive and distortion pedals. :confused: My friends call it "Cone Cry" or a "Double Note" sound. I do not notice so much in the low end. It happens more if I am soloing in the higher registers. It basically sounds like I activated an octave splitter. Does anybody have any speaker recommendations for this combo that would give me more headroom and clarity? I have heard good things about the Celestion GT12-80 Classic Lead. Any tips would be greatly appreciated.
    :dude
    Thanks.

Dave

2. Electric I

Electric I Member

Had a C30 awhile back & replaced the 'blew' marvel with an emi texas heat. A definite improvement.

3. rockon1

rockon1 Member

As far as I can figure ghost noting occurs when the power section is pushed too hard in some amps. This happens with my Rivera and to a lesser extent with some of my other amps. With the Rivera I ruled out the speaker. Something to do with the power supply filtering. I have to push the amp really hard for it to occur. Some say this can be also caused by "cone cry" too .
    I had what I could call "cone cry" for me with my Supersonic. It sounded like a nasty,raspy distortion on top of the distortion. It occured when I cranked the clean channel up to the break up point. This was VERY loud! I guess the cones on the G12H-30 and G12-65 couldnt handle it. After I replaced the speakers with heavier G12K-100's the raspy distortion on top of the sound went away. I figure this must have been a form of cone cry. Of coarse I read conflicting thoughts on the matter so who knows. Bob

4. Ramblin390

Ramblin390 Member

5. SRVTWO

SRVTWO Member

If you really dig the Vintage 30 sound, maybe try the Eminence Govenor. It is supposed to be voiced like the Vintage 30 but less harsh on the top end. I also believe it handles a bit more power. Good Luck.
    Mike

6. The Pup

The Pup Supporting Member

Weber Blue Dog AlNiCo 30w no dope!

7. Randaddy

Randaddy Member

If it is cone cry, having the speaker doped is supposedly the cure. This would be a very inexpensive solution... no need for a new speaker.

8. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

I'd go over to Eminence's website at http://www.eminence.com and have a browse through their guitar range. They've plenty of options at a good price.

9. wildschwein

wildschwein Member

Well I don't think that will give you much "clean headroom" there but I bet you must get a great, warm crunchy distortion - there's no better speaker IMO for that sort of stuff. But wouldn't you worry about blowing it - Classic 30s have a fair bit of guts?

10. blackba

blackba Supporting Member

I would go with a warehouse veteran 30 or a Celestion G12H30. Your Vintage 30 speaker is already doped, so it should have minimal cone cry....